• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Struts on a car...

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
When they are bad in the back, how will you tell? Tires wearing bald on the inside only or is that alinement issue? Sorry for posting a car question on a diesel truck site but you guys always give me the best answers :eek:

I would think if your rear struts are bad you be bouncing a lot with uncontrolled body roll over bumps. What type of vehicle is this?

99 Grand Am.... I had new tires put on it and the hillbilly discount tire fella said I need new rear ones due to the tire wear, but everyone of my buddys say they are fine... I hate to spend money I dont have to.. I need a ignition switch and that 200 bucks... I shoulda never got a "money saver" :mad:

Screw it, just put tires on it and let it roll, i doubt your rea struts are bad. These GM front wheel drive cars are terrible on brakes and alignment. My wifes old 04 Impala took 3 ( THREE) Sets of brakes in 40,000 miles!!! But it ran good. If you want a real gas save for REAL, buy a Buick roadmaster wagon or caprice wagon or Caprice sedan with an LT1. All the power and room you want with 25 MPG and a car that rides good and easy to work on, plus they are usually 3 grand or less.

Thanks for the replys Tim, Im taking it to the alignment shop tomarrow after job number 1, Ill post up how it gose...
Not that I can aford another car but you know any of those around our neck of the woods?

Just give it the old bounce test. Push on the rear bumper a few times and let go. If it stops bouncing in like one or two cycles, they are good. If not, well then you know.

The only way you can tell by the tires if the struts are bad is the tires would looked rippled all the weight around. From the tire actually bouncing instead of staying planted to the road.

The other way to test the struts is to do the "jounce test" (aas stated above) if you bounce on the rear corner of the bumper a few times then let off. It should stop bouncing in under 3 bounces. If it doesnt there junk.

Back