• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Street Legality?

WanaDmax

Reaction score
What makes a bike street legal? I have an XR600 with non functioning, Tail light, High beam light, front blinkers, and left blinker; functioning low beam headlight and right blinker.

It has a license plate on it, so, i was wondering what it takes to be street legal..

The new fuel costs are making me think about driving this to work...

In most States - if it came with blinkers from the factory they have to be still on the bike and all working. Tail light AND brake light

It's going to be a state by state thing. Here it's just headlight (high and low beam), tail light, brake light, horn and at least one mirror.

Okay, got the lights ect, but now i need to figure out why my hi beam wont work, but low beam does, and right front blinker works, but left front doesnt... :wtf:

Horn, im putting on today, mirror is in parts box..

Now i just need help understanding why this gets REALLY hot, and what it does*see image*... The metal gets so hot you cant touch it.. There seems to be goop coming out too. I dont believe that is the flasher box, cause theres another giant box with a 4 prong and 2 prong connection. Need brake light actuator too...

Attachments

• DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 17
I was looking at the TT store, and saw CDI Boxes... Is this a CDI box?

Attachments

• DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00377.JPG
    DSC00377.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 4
94 or 95 (cant remember)

Its when i turn it on, i havnt found a perticular time, like turn signals, or Hi beam... Just whenever its on.

94 or 95 (cant remember)

Its when i turn it on, i havnt found a perticular time, like turn signals, or Hi beam... Just whenever its on.
I couldn't find any info on the box.About the headlight,Make sure both high and low beams are actually functional.

wait, maybe a 96... Yeah, i think a 96

When i switch it to hi beam, the light just turns off... The contacts are clean, and all prongs are on.

update: So both filaments are in tact.... When i turn the Hi beam on, it turns all turn signals off... Light is very weak at medium idle...

Big box is CDI. small box is a mystery. Not a flasher unit, one up front.

Okay.. Update:
The mystery box is a Field Effect Transistor (FET) switch which was included with very old Baja Designs dual sport kits. It's function was to prevent the headlight from coming on until the engine starts (as opposed to coming on with the throw of the main power switch.) This was supposed to be a battery saver feature so the headlight didn't discharge the battery while you're trying to start the bike

Unplugged the FET, evrything functioned normally.

so, there was this 4th wire, a yellow one... Which i disconnected, and the hi beams came on... But now, the turn signals dont work... Im only getting 5-8V at the turn signal controller...

Does this mean i need a re-wired stator??

What makes a bike street legal? I have an XR600 with non functioning, Tail light, High beam light, front blinkers, and left blinker; functioning low beam headlight and right blinker.

It has a license plate on it, so, i was wondering what it takes to be street legal..

The new fuel costs are making me think about driving this to work...

Funny, I just went through the same thing this week with my TTR225. I called the state and in Idaho.... head light, tail light/brake light, one mirror, and a horn. I had a head light(no high beam), so I bought a tail light, mirror, and a bolt on brake light switch, total was 28.00 and I'm legal.

The bike has a big rack on the back for hunting so I can carry parts and such. Looking forward to saving a bit of coin at the pump.

Back