• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stranger in a strange land.

Barncrawler

Reaction score
Hello all. I found this site accidentally, searching for help with a Chevy 4.3 liter truck issue. ( I know, that’s not a truck, okay a pickup)
And, I’ve already gotten good advice from your members.
So, and this is only partially tongue-in-cheek, in the interest of full disclosure, I HATE DIESELS. I dislike the smell, both of the damned greasy fuel, and the exhaust.
Gasoline smells lovely, the ONLY smell better than gas is the nitro methane with caster oil used in RC aircraft. That, along with the smell of cordite is really nice.
Second, I hate the sound of a diesel. Like a bad set of bearings. Who wants to drive a rig that sounds like dragging a logging chain down the street?
Admittedly the only one I’ve ever owned was a 6.2 Chevy, not a real diesel, I’m told, but a 454 converted. Blowd up good. One minute, 60mph even with all the chains dragging behind, and the next minute, a loud bang, then blessed silence. And, of course the deceleration, the being stranded on the side of the road, and the associated towing, humiliating report my mechanic this it was my fault, most likely, followed by a low-ball offer for the truck. Add the convenience of waiting for glow plugs to warm up, or some such bullshit, and there you are. I hate diesels.

so. Attack away. I’m a cattleman at a sheep show.

I’m Eddie Murphy at a Klan rally.

I’m touring UC Berkeley wearing a MAGA hat.

I don’t even like Vin Diesel.

but thanks for the warm welcome, I figure it’s because you are all
A: stranded on the side of the road
Or B: pro drivers limited to how much you can drive, and holed up in a flying J lot, locked up tight from the lizards,
Or C: brain addled from the stink and sound of your lamp-oil drinking baby.

You forgot option D.

D. had fast 69 Camaro that ran on Gas, then alcohol as a daily driver. Then drove nitrometh rail. With no where to go but up- went to diesel! Haha

Some people don’t get the love of a heavy cammed big block idling. Or the whir of a supercharger. Some don’t like turbo whistle or diesel clatter. Some hate rock and roll from the 50’s till today. I like all them. But I get not everyone likes everything. Please, no honda and no jazz...

I HaTe the 4.3L, esp. the 1993 anemic 160HP TBI version, more than you hate even the 6.2 diesel. Yes the 4.3L did sound like bad bearings: because it was! The CA emissions electronic EGR sticking open was fun to find and $$ to fix outside of CA. 49 states had a vac EGR till the 1994 Vortech. That 4.3 would even smoke black on a cold morning when you hammered it. Even the 2000 model year 4.3L would rattle the krap out of the timing chain and balancers under specific load and throttle.

So you are asking about swapping the 4.3L for a V8, any V8?

I can assure you my Duramax has a sound you would like. And my previous one as well. As for gassers...if it's anything but a loud V8, it's just annoying. Especially 4 cyl rice burners with a fart can muffler. But, anyhow, you're welcome here. I have owned 3 of those 4.3 blazers. They were primarily the wife's rides. BTW, 95+% of the group here are diesel pickup drivers.

To all who replied thank you. I flip 5or6 cars a year. As a Heating and air contractor, we go in everyone’s garages and back yards and know where all the cool toys are. No I don’t plan a v8 swap, too many other projects. I have heard pleasing noises from duramax’s and I’m not a Honda guy either although my collection currently does include a 1972 Z600. 10” wheels, 600 cc’s and chain drive. Tiniest car you ever saw. It’s for sale, anyone wanna do a diesel conversion?

Then there is the Option E group: those of us whom do not sit around the parking lot hating on a diesel's clatter at idle as we know that when it is in operating RPM range it makes a nice V8 rumble. Although, the 6.2 and 6.5 never are really all that quiet even when in their happy zone.

Would not mind an old Mercedes IDI 5 cylinder as even at idle they were fairly quiet. In their happy zone they had a nice hum.

FWIW, I had a car as small as that Honda. In fact, it was a Honda. Only good thing about it was the fuel economy. Handling sucked. Absolutely dangerous on the highway as it was so small that pretty much nobody saw it in the side mirrors and I was constantly in defense mode to avoid people changing lanes into me. Then there were the multiple parking lot incidents where people hit the car as they could not see it from their midsize (or larger) vehicles. After the car collected damages that exceeded 20% of its *new* purchase price from incidents where I was not even in the vehicle, I decided that the disaster of an experiment had to go.

I think alot of it is also life style and upbringing. Ex. I grew up on a farm. Loud diesel equipment all over the place making that money grow... Like most of my family once I grew up and thought I knew everything I started trucking, got in a 379 peterbilt with a CAT in her, grew out of trucking(kinda) settled down a little and got into the other family buisness...construction,.. again everything is diesel powered..trucks, excavators, dozer's, loaders etc... Well when ya got that much fuel around kinda makes sense to have a truck that can run on it to😉..
It's not everyone's story, but most of us have our reasons that were loyal to Diesel's..
What confuses me is the idiots with a brand new truck, diesel, jacked up, fancy chrome rims, tires that the rubber is like 2 inch's from rim to tread (y'all know what I'm talking about)...those trucks look so retarded. And there useless. Can haul with them...can't tow with them..( not disrespecting the guys that Jack up there truck a little or trick it out a little...but there's a limit..and some of these idiots way exceed it.
Ie. The guy who owns one of afore mentioned trucks, and had to ask me to haul his wife's car home. Same guy paid me to bring building materials to his house from lowes cause couldn't get the stuff in his truck bed...lol 😂

Back