• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

straight pipping a 6.5 ?

M123KT-450

Reaction score
I was thinking of running a pipe to about the rear axle and blow it down at the road .
Will this work ?

Mike

Dont see why not..... Straight piped diesels sound good. V8 diesels that is. Straight piped cummins just sound like a damn tractor to me.

I've heard Straight piped 6.5's before and they sound nice. Go for it

Sounds like a plan then. I have deleted the air box, added a cold air intake, and i also got a new PMD upgraded with a #9 Resister.

So now i have more air coming and more fuel added to that air, So now i needed to open up the flow of the out going air. . .

Straight piped it shall be then !

mike

The shorter the pipe the less restriction and muffle as well. Shouldnt be any problem with that as long as youre not getting any fumes in the cab, which could be possible.

I am just going to run to the rear axle and blow it at the ground. . .
Any idea what sized pipe that is ?

Mike

Not sure on the 6.5. I know the 6.6 is a 3.5" all the way out and most ppl upsize it to 4" from the cat or turbo. I would assume the 6.5 is 3 or 3.5" as well.

yea, stock is 2.75" and pathetic.
I ran various exhausts on the truck before settling with the stacks.
biggest you can go without modding some is a 3" downpipe. After that, whatever you want. I first had a 3.5" fairly stock exhaust that came with the truck. That lasted, not very long.):h
Then it was the 3" downpipe and a 4" back to just in front of the passenger rear wheel where a 6" tip stuck straight out the side.
After that was just a straight 4" that exited right before the rear axle. With those two, I had major droning going on in the cab. On long road trips, you would have slightly ringing ears when you reached your destination. Stacks have been the nicest and have actually been really good for cab noise. When we first put them in, I didn't have all the pipe yet, and we just had the elbows coming up level with the top of the bed, with the one being almost right behind my head. I learned real quick that I could only drive 20 minutes like that before I started to get this real deep headache that would start. :rolleyes5:

Just make sure that you point it properly to eliminate any droning, and you will be happy. Don't shoot me, but I love the sound of a straight piped 5.9 taking off. It's just so, I dunno, diesel. The 6.5 comes in as my second favorite, and the sound of your turbo chirping as your driving along makes it sound like a wicked ride

Non-Typical - So you had this drone effect when you had a straight pipe exit between the passenger wheels? Basically right in front of rear wheel? I was thinking of doing that, but with a muffler and I have the ext cab, a little more length.

Yes, it was still droning when it exited like that. basically it came straight back from the downpipe and stopped just short of the axle. there was no tip that directed anywhere but straight back. it wasn't as bad as when i had it coming out in front of the rear tire, but still noticeable on long road trips. but like you said, you have a longer truck and with a muffler, i am sure you will take up any droning. :thumbsup:

I had straight-pipe right out the back corner (behind the passenger rear wheel) on my 2500 ext cab... DROOOOOOONNNNEEEEE. It was kind of cool for the first half hour... then I tried to pull my 5er. OMG. Did I ever have a headache after the next half hour.

Even the Harley guys would plug their ears when passing us.

I put a DMax resonator on it real quick. Still drones. Get a muffler.

Whats this "DRONE" you guys speak of ?

For now is was just going to knock out the cat and the muffler and run the straight pipe the same size as whats there just for now, later i would like to run a bigger pipe from the turbo to the axle then blow it right at the ground. . .

Mike

Whats this "DRONE" you guys speak of ?

Drone = unifrequency resonance... a continuous noise, amplification.

Loud. Annoying. Noise.

Go ahead, give it a try... if it's too loud, it will give you a headache when you go on a trip. You can always put a muffler on later.

Warning: Gets WAY louder when pulling a load.

Ok so then for us younger guys in our mid 20s who love the sound of super swapers radial MTs and old school biasply super tractions n extra grips on the highway at 72mph this would be ideal ?

Mike

Loud is OK... heck, us old guys are half deaf from the loud music and loud exhaust when WE were in our 20's.

Drone isn't... drone cuts right through deaf..

You find yourself wanting to speed up and slow down, just to make it vary a bit.

I used to love that drone on the 76 F100 with 302, dual exhaust with glasspacks. had to turn radio up over the exhaust. Was younger then though.

With my 6.5TD truck now the engine is just loud, no exhaust noise really, with huge Banks muffler. I'm going to change it to an Aero Performance/Aeroexhaust soon that has a resonator in the muffler, and the muffler spins the air for some better flow so I'm hoping that eliminates any drone when putting it out in front of rear wheel.

I put 3" staright pipe on mine. I don't think it is all that bad. I am old enough to know better but still dont care! If doing it again though I would go to 4". SS has a down pipe that jumps to 4" just past the firewall. About $70 I think. I'm sure others do too.

So your saying go with a 4inch pipe ?

I was going to a temp setup but i am no longer able to go this memorial day ATV trip so i may as well take my time and do this truck up right . . .

Mike

4" is ideal, but you cant beat free if you can do things that way. I'm going to get a new downpipe, because my Banks downpipe, although free flowing, is rusting away with a couple holes, so those that think a new exhaust will outlast their truck dont count on it next to the mighty Pacific at least.

Then Im just going to get a 4" resonator/muffler and some 4" pipe and elbows to run it out the side. Not a whole kit from anywhere, although it will still cost me about the same as some of these 4" kits that are less than $300 shipped.

Well it would be nice to just the stock sized pipe to the axle with a turn down i can do that for almost free, as i would only need a 4-5 foot chunck of pipe as my whole exhaust system is only 2 years old. . .

But the local Exhaust shop wanted to know what sized pipe i needed.
They have some good left over pipe in 2.5" and 3" and 4" . . . if my stock unit has a 2.75" down pipe then i would have to use the 3" ? with a coupler ?

Mike

Back