• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Storeing transmissions question

bk95td

6.5 nut job/addict
Reaction score
I have several 4l80e transmissions i'm putting into storage untill needed. I've done the obvious things like: drain fluid,plug all openings ,covered electrical connectors, and wired torque converter up. Does any one have any other suggestions of other things I should do to preserve them?

I have several 4l80e transmissions i'm putting into storage untill needed. I've done the obvious things like: drain fluid,plug all openings ,covered electrical connectors, and wired torque converter up. Does any one have any other suggestions of other things I should do to preserve them?

I would think that should cover it..

I'm too attached to them to let them leave home, all three of them.Would you settle for a transfer case, axels,or interior parts?

:eek::nono: Tranny hotel??? That just sounds wrong.

So where do you live and what have you seen that would make that your first thought? ):h :D

But anyways, for tranny storage, i think that would be about right.

Also, something to ponder, would it be better or worse to store them with fresh fluid, or is it best to leave them dry?

would it be better or worse to store them with fresh fluid, or is it best to leave them dry?

Not claiming to be a transmission expert, but I would think they would be happier with nice clean fluid in them when stored. Logic would be that the seals stay wet and condensation will be less likely to be a problem.
Or maybe a note to GM tech support would answer the question......

Not claiming to be a transmission expert, but I would think they would be happier with nice clean fluid in them when stored. Logic would be that the seals stay wet and condensation will be less likely to be a problem.
Or maybe a note to GM tech support would answer the question......

So how do you contact GM tech support, and how knowledgeable are they?:smile5:

So how do you contact GM tech support, and how knowledgeable are they?

A. Google is your friend.
B. Beats me... I would have thought that they are THE knowledge base for their stuff, but seems that their *factory trained* mechanics are mostly parts throwers... So who knows?

Disclaimer --- I'm sure that there are GM mechanics that KNOW how to troubleshoot - If one of them is reading this, my hat's off to you.

New and remaned trannies are shipped dry. The insides are still wet on mine . I just drained what would come out with removing the pan. There is still several quarts in the transmission.Having oil in the pan would do no good that I could tell.

New and remaned trannies are shipped dry.

Thats probably just a shipping preferrence for the trucking companies. Crash, busted crate, or oops and they have to clean up an oily mess and could get expensive if on side of road and a truck load of wet engines/transmissions etc.

Follow boat winterization ideas in general. As long as parts are good and wet (with clean oil) thats probably good enough. In general for tanks that can condensate any moisture if you can store them totally full it reduces corrosion and moisture build up. Would filling pan help probably not but maybe just a little? I'd tape any openings around dipstick, tail shaft, and ports etc. as tight as possible to try and keep air out to reduce oxidation. Maybe shrink wrap the whole thing afterwards or wrap it in plastic then store it in a dry place that has the least temperature swings for the job.

that shipping thing is correct, they are shipped dry for liability reasons, trans fluid is very slippery on the wooden floor boards of the straight trucks, but anyway,

it all depends on how long you plan on storing them,

dry =
1)front and rear seals will dry requiring replacement before put back into svc
2)clutch packs will NOT swell which is good for their life
3)residue trans fluid WILL stick in the valve body components which might change the trans behavior when put back into svc, but clears up in a few hot/cold cycles

wet =
1)good for front a rear seals
2)clutch packs and bands swell, decreasing thier life when put back into svc
3)valvebody stays clean

when i mean swell.. i mean in as little as a year to as much as 5 years.. depends on their current condition, it takes 4-5 years for brand new clutch packs to swell,

pump and rear seals should be replaced anyway before putting the trans back into svc, so i say leave it dry

a friend who owns a performance trans shop for bracket cars stores them dry WITHOUT their valve bodies in them, he cleans out the valve bodies and stores them dry as well.. but they are 100% clean

Last edited:
Back