• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stock, Steel rims vs PYO Aluminum weight

DennisG01

Reaction score
Has anyone ever weighed the standard, 16" steel rim and compared it against the weight of the "PYO" aluminum rims that showed up around 2001? I assume the Al has to thicker than the steel so I'm wondering if there is actually any weight savings?

Wow, I really didn't think that the weight difference would be that much (whether it's 22 or 18 - both are significantly lighter). That's a good amount of unsprung weight that can be lopped off.

Wow, I really didn't think that the weight difference would be that much (whether it's 22 or 18 - both are significantly lighter). That's a good amount of unsprung weight that can be lopped off.

Then if we get rid of the million pound drums in back and go to discs......................................

I got semi scientific when I got my 95 service truck. It came on 235/85R16E on OEM steel. there was a 245/75R16E spare underneath, full of dirt. I took it down, washed everything up, and went to weighing.

the new set of wheels and tires were some PYOs with OEM Bridgestone Duravis mild all terrain/highway terrain.

weighing everything, I figured going from the big rubber on OEM steel to small rubber on PYO, the weight savings was significant enough that the spare 245/75 tire on the OEM STEEL rim could ride for free.

essentially: (4) PYOs and (1) OEM steel and (5) 245/75R16 = (4) OEM steels and (4) 235/85R16

I love the look of the PYOs, and while they arent forged like Alcoas, they are holding up just fine to use here on the farm. I just took delivery of another set for my new 93.

I was diggin in this site earlier today and just thought of sharing it in the forum.
ww.wheelsanything.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back