• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering Shaft Loose?

HoytBows

Reaction score
I swear when I'm turning sometimes it sounds like my steering shaft is clunking and bouncing a little bit deep in my dash. I heard rumor that GM was having a problem with them coming loose, but it was only a rumor. Anybody else??

they don't come loose, they become dry and start to make a clunk while turning. You can hear it as well as feel it through the steering wheel.

You have to replacer the intermidiate steering shaft. It is a common problem. As far as I am aware of it does not hurt anything its just annoying.

Mine has done it for a year now. All of my money goes into go fast parts though.

There is a repair kit from GM you can purchase with instuctions on how to fix. Its fairly simple. Its basically grease in a syringe. There also was a TSB but it was a while ago.

LMC an aftermarket truck supplier carries a performance steering shaft assy.

The grease kits were only a temporary fix. The only real way to fix it is to get the new design shaft with the teflon insert in the splines. Don't know the part number, but the dealer will know exactly what you are talking about.

The problem that causes the clunk is not the fact that the shaft is becoming loose, its just slack in the splines of the shaft. It won't hurt anything nor is it dangerous, just annoying.

The grease kits were only a temporary fix. The only real way to fix it is to get the new design shaft with the teflon insert in the splines
. Don't know the part number, but the dealer will know exactly what you are talking about.

The problem that causes the clunk is not the fact that the shaft is becoming loose, its just slack in the splines of the shaft. It won't hurt anything nor is it dangerous, just annoying.

Good to know. Thanks because I need a new one.

I know that all the guys that put the new design GM shaft in were satisfied with them (based on DP replies from some months ago). Noah would know for sure if any came back after that. I doubt it.

Back