• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering problem .. NOT ISS

Boge

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I posted this over at DP and got nothing. I knwo there are some gurus here .. here is my post.

Well I seem to have a problem. I have searched and found everything except what I need to know. I started having a loose steering wheel the other day. I fixed my shaft problem a while ago. This is not the same thing. I can actually take my steering wheel and move it side to side and up and down. I took it apart using some of the helpful links on this site. I took the airbag out, steering wheel, and coil. Now what?? Is there a bearing in there that can be changed? Or is it the top part of the shaft that needs to be replaced. I know the problems are always the lower shaft. Any help would be apreciated. I need this fixed ASAP. I have everything apart now ... I can put back together but would rather not. Thanks

I need a diagrahm of the steering wheel. Thank you.

Just went out to make sure about something ... it is NOT the lower shaft. It is only in the upper part of the column, after the tilt. I grabbed the shaft before u joint and it does not move, just in and out slightly.

not much in the way of diagrams i can find. i have not seen this issue before. most of the upper column stuff is not servicable, so likey you will need a column. i will check parts see if they can help with photos in a bit.

This is on your 2004.5, correct?

Sorry, yes.

not much in the way of diagrams i can find. i have not seen this issue before. most of the upper column stuff is not servicable, so likey you will need a column. i will check parts see if they can help with photos in a bit.

Thank you. Actually my horn is what started .. it started honking on its own while turning, then I noticed that the wheel itself was able to move. I pulled the steering wheel off and was able to still wiggle everything. PLEASE LMK. This is driving me friggen crazy.

You DO realize that if you asked over here first, Joe would have already gotten you an answer, right? :D

j/k, Boge... you looked like you needed some $hit and abuse :D

You DO realize that if you asked over here first, Joe would have already gotten you an answer, right? :D

j/k, Boge... you looked like you needed some $hit and abuse :D

LOL .. I know I had more a chance of getting more flow over at the other place, but sooned relized the gurus arent on there any more. :D

I did need teh abuse I havent had any in a while since I have been busy and havent been in good old P&R. ):h

:cheers2:

This is an intermediate shaft issue, Boge... you can grease the heck outta the existing shaft with some really thick (ie: wheel-bearing) grease, and it will be fine for a while, or you can get the updated part from GM for around $80, iirc.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/mechanical/T010090.gif

Part #11 is the intermediate shaft... you can also get it at GMPartsDirect.

You might also try one of our vendors - they can get most everything else people ask for.

:chairshot:

Its not that part, I did grease and do the clamp ... I need to know what part is #7,#6 and #5. Put it this way .. I can take off the steering wheel, and wiggle the hell out of the stud that holds the wheel on. The lower ISS does not move.

Ah... my bad. The only TSB I was aware of was that one... Sorry.

I bet Joe will know what you need.

found an exploded diagram. if you can give me your best guess at what you think it is i can then go into parts and get info on what we can get.

Steering Column Disassembled View (Column Shift Lean Shaft)

2223719.gif

(1)Steering Column Upper Trim Cover (2)Steering Column Lower Trim Cover (3)Automatic Transmission Control Lever Housing Seal (4)Automatic Transmission Control Lever Bolt (5)Automatic Transmission Control Lever (6)Steering Wheel Nut (7)Snap Ring (8)Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil (9)Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil Washer (10)Steering Shaft Lock Plate Retaining Ring (11)Turn Signal Switch Cancel Cam Position Plate (12)Turn Signal Cancel Cam (13)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing Spring (14)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing Race Seat (15)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing Race (16)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Bracket (17)Steering Column Upper Cover Bolt (18)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Bolt (19)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case (20)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Bolt (21)Ignition and Start Switch (22)Turn Signal Switch Bolt (23)Turn Signal and Headlamp Dimmer Switch and Windshield Wiper and Windshield Washer Switch (24)Steering Column Housing (25)Steering Column Spring Guide (26)Steering Column Tilt Spring (27)Steering Column Tilt Lock Release Lever Pivot Pin (28)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing (29)Steering Shaft (30)Steering Column Tilt Wheel Release Lever (31)Steering Column Lower Trim Cover Bolt (32)Automatic Transmission Control (33)Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Bolt (34)Steering Column Housing Support Bolt (35)Steering Column Pivot Pin (36)Steering Column Housing Support (37)Steering Column Jacket (38)Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Actuator (39)Steering Shaft Lower Bearing Adapter (40)Steering Wheel Position Sensor (41)Steering Wheel Position Sensor Retaining Clip (42)Steering Gear Coupling Nut (43)Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (44)Steering Gear Coupling Bolt

found an exploded diagram. if you can give me your best guess at what you think it is i can then go into parts and get info on what we can get.

Steering Column Disassembled View (Column Shift Lean Shaft)

2223719.gif

(1)Steering Column Upper Trim Cover (2)Steering Column Lower Trim Cover (3)Automatic Transmission Control Lever Housing Seal (4)Automatic Transmission Control Lever Bolt (5)Automatic Transmission Control Lever (6)Steering Wheel Nut (7)Snap Ring (8)Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil (9)Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil Washer (10)Steering Shaft Lock Plate Retaining Ring (11)Turn Signal Switch Cancel Cam Position Plate (12)Turn Signal Cancel Cam (13)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing Spring (14)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing Race Seat (15)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing Race (16)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Bracket (17)Steering Column Upper Cover Bolt (18)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Bolt (19)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case (20)Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Bolt (21)Ignition and Start Switch (22)Turn Signal Switch Bolt (23)Turn Signal and Headlamp Dimmer Switch and Windshield Wiper and Windshield Washer Switch (24)Steering Column Housing (25)Steering Column Spring Guide (26)Steering Column Tilt Spring (27)Steering Column Tilt Lock Release Lever Pivot Pin (28)Steering Shaft Upper Bearing (29)Steering Shaft (30)Steering Column Tilt Wheel Release Lever (31)Steering Column Lower Trim Cover Bolt (32)Automatic Transmission Control (33)Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Bolt (34)Steering Column Housing Support Bolt (35)Steering Column Pivot Pin (36)Steering Column Housing Support (37)Steering Column Jacket (38)Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Actuator (39)Steering Shaft Lower Bearing Adapter (40)Steering Wheel Position Sensor (41)Steering Wheel Position Sensor Retaining Clip (42)Steering Gear Coupling Nut (43)Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (44)Steering Gear Coupling Bolt

#13,14,15 and 28. IF there is a "bearing "kit" that is it. That picture is perfect. What program is that? Thanks man.

boge,

some program from GM, Stacks work for them somehow. If you read a post made the other day someone thanked him for all his help.

He is a great asset to this forum! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
it is the tech line program from gm. i looked yesterday and could not find it, but i had a brain storm this morning and remembered where to look. we can get 13-15 for sure, but forgot to check 28 so you will have to wait till this afternoon:)

eta, the parts view does not show 28. i am assuming it comes as a complete unit with 15.

it is the tech line program from gm. i looked yesterday and could not find it, but i had a brain storm this morning and remembered where to look. we can get 13-15 for sure, but forgot to check 28 so you will have to wait till this afternoon:)

eta, the parts view does not show 28. i am assuming it comes as a complete unit with 15.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking it might be a package bearing, races, etc. If it is I guess I need a part #. Thanks again.

It's been a long time since i've had a GM column apart, but I know the pivot pins (#35 on the diagram) would occasionally work loose causing a similar problem, you might check them if you haven't already done so. Hope this helps.
Tim

sorry boge. i completely forgot you wanted the part numbers. i will get them today. it was one of those things i read but did not make a mental note. sorry.:(

It's been a long time since i've had a GM column apart, but I know the pivot pins (#35 on the diagram) would occasionally work loose causing a similar problem, you might check them if you haven't already done so. Hope this helps.
Tim

hmm .. did not check that. I will pull the entire thing out again this weekend. I cant during the week .. work.
On Edit: Its not the tilt that is messed up, the actual wheel is moving, like when a nut is loose, but it is tightened. Thanks.

sorry boge. i completely forgot you wanted the part numbers. i will get them today. it was one of those things i read but did not make a mental note. sorry.:(

Its cool. Just LMK, I called 2 dealers around here and they "cant give out the number"....

Last edited:
13 spring-26055299
14 seat-15231641
15-28-bearing-26001827

they are not showing 28 in the parts computer. i am assuming 15 is complete. shouldnt be more than 75 bucks from the dealer.

Back