• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

steering gear box problems

grumpy old man

Reaction score
i came up with a leak in my steering gear box and hydro booster. the dealer replaced the gear box with a new one. the problem i have is back lash giving me more play in the steering wheel than when it was new. the dealer told me they could change it with another new one. there are adjustments that should be made but gmc mechanics are just parts changers. my truck is a 06 dually lbz std cab long box with banks intake, exhaust with pda ottomind 6, bd big bore exhaust manifold.:pound:

The gear box's are reman from mexico and evertime you change one out you are taking a chance of getting a worse one. Gm wont sell us a new gear box for these trucks. And as for adjustments there is only slight adjustments that can be made to these gear box's.They do not sell a rebuild kit for these at a Gm dealer. They are probably just doing the best they can with what they have. Make sure and check all other components also. Good luck.

The gear box on our 02 exploded, but was replaced about 16,000 miles ago. So far no problems. But I guess I never even looked for leaks.

Everything is made in mexico these days.

you can adjust the depth of the pinion gear on the box. that is what gives you the feeling of play in the wheel. well as long as the rest of the steering system is good and tight. mine is exsessively bad. i have a good 1/8 of a turn of play in my wheel. makes for fun doing anything over 70mph. try taking it to another dealer and have them adjust it. or a good 4wd shop.

thanks for all the info. i see why the dealer was wanting to put another junk box. i am on the road with rv behind my dually and when i get to a place where i am going to stay for a while, i'll try adjusting it. the mechanics at gmc are just part changers.

Back