• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering Clunk, Or???

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
So my Truck has had the Steering Clunk from Day 1, but I think it's getting Worse.

So the other Day, I put the Hose Clamp On, and Tightened it Down as much as I could, and it Quieted the Clunking Down a lil bit.

But now I think the Clunking might be something else.

It's a Low Pitched, Hollow kind of Clunk / Thump Sound. Sounds like it's coming from the Floor Board or down by the Pedals. Is this still Steering Clunk or could it be something else?

Steering is still Tight, doesn't Feel like there is any Slop or Play in it, but even the Smallest Bump in the Road, the Truck Clunks / Thumps.

Since you have two trucks now I will guess you are talking about the D max. :hihi: I would think you have already had the ISS changed. You might also need to change to the lower bearing where you placed the clamp. It is a green colored bearing PN# 88963617.

Nope, never had the ISS Changed. I was Looking at the Borgeson Part though, since they say it gets rid of the Clunk, and makes the ISS Metal instead of Plastic.

...and I already have the Green Bearing on there. I never Changed it, so I guess it came from the Factory with it.

I need to look and see what color my bearing is. I have a very very similar sound coming from by my feet, sometimes I think I can feel it. I've never had my ISS replaced.

Yea, Next I'm gonna try the Exhaust Clamp. How Tight are you all Making them when you Install them?

Well an exhaust clamp is a new one to me. You can definitely tighten that up quite a bit more than a hose clamp. If I were to go that way I would start with snug and tighten a little at a time until the noise went away.

You'll def. get more Clamping Force with that one over a Regular Hose Clamp, but you won't get as much as you would with an Exhaust Clamp.

Let us know how it Works for you.

Will do, I just like the even distribution of force applied by that style of clamp. When you say exhaust clamp are you referring to the classic u-bolt style?

You really don't need that much force. It is a plastic type bushing. A regular hose clamp works just fine. I think a muffler type clamp will break the bushing.

So while out Driving Today, I Noticed that the Clunk is only there when the Driver Side Wheel goes Over a Bump, or Pebble in the Road. Yes, anything in the Road Causes the Truck to make the Clunk Sound. If the Passenger Side Wheel goes over a Bump there is no Noise at all, and I can now Feel it in the Floor Boards.

Could that still be Steering Clunk if only the Driver Side Causes the Truck to Clunk or could it be something else?

I just had the Brakes done on it a few Weeks ago, and the Truck was Up in the Air for a Long Time, almost 24 Hours, because some Parts that came In were Bad, and I had to Wait for New ones. The Truck wasn't making the Clunk Noise as Bad before it went Up in the Air. But once the Brakes were done is when I really Noticed the Noise. Could something have gotten Pulled Loose or Yanked or something while it was Sitting in the Air for so Long?

I have a hose Clamp put On with an Impact Driver TIGHT. But it's still Clunking.

Gonna have to See how much the Shop I Deal with can get the Borgeson Shaft for.

You may be better off with the newer OEM replacement. It is an improvement over the OEM original that our trucks came with. I heard a few people had the same problem with the Borgeson replacement shaft.

Back