• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

starts problem with my 1994 6.5 td

jordi1976

Reaction score
Hi sirs;
I recently buyed a 1994 6.5 c2500 silverado without injection pump (ds4-5521) and without fsd (fuel solenoid driver).
I buyed and installed this parts without many information. The problem I have is that I have no negative signal in the fuel cut off solenoid, I have no positive signal in the fuel lift pump relay and Ihave no signal in the pink wire of the glow plugs relay.
I think it's a possible engine unit failure, and it's a no expensive spare, but , before import a unit, with all the taxes, shipping costs,etc... I want be sure where's the problem.

Thanks for all, I hope you can help me.

When I bought the injection pump, the dealer (ss diesel supply) asked me the for the digit code of the chip, because there are two models of injection pump. And they send me DS4-5521, but if the chip of PCM is not correct, I don't know.
I bougth this truck in a dealer of american cars, here, in spain, in bankrupt, and the dealer told me they had an inversion of polarity in the battery connections.

I hope you understand me, my english is so bad...
Thanks another time.

by "engine unit failure", do you mean you are concerned about the engine in the truck being broken/ destroyed?

does the engine turn over with the starter, or will the starter not engage?

dont worry about your english, I hear it is a hard laguage to learn, and internet slang makes it that much harder. plus most of us arent any good with other languages either. Sometimes we arent very good with english ourselves. :)

good luck with the new project vehicle!

With "engine unit", I refeer the PCM or ECU. The engine turns ok with the starter, and I think this engine was remanufactured short time ago, without pan is very clean (inside engine).
Thanks

With the key on do you get both a Service Throttle Soon and a Service Engine Soon light? No - then the ECM is not getting power or burned up.

Sounds like the ECM is not getting power.
Check your fuses.
Fusible links can also burn out or break with age. The ECM uses 2 fusible links. Hint: if the links are burned the ECM is shorted.
Test the ECM plugs for power (+12v) at two separate pins with key on. One is a +12v memory power the other is key on power. We don't care what pins as long as 2 pins have +12v then all is good. Otherwise you could look in the book to save time of what pins have ECM power.
Look at and clean grounds. Specifically the ECM ground at the trans dipstick bolt back of the engine.

If they reversed the battery terminals lots of things could have burned up or shorted. You may have to disconnect items until you get a Service Engine Soon light to stay on. The PMD is the most likely shorted unit along with the ECM. I can't think of anything else that would fry other than maybe the OPS.

Radio and HVAC are other unrelated things that could have been hurt.

Jordi, Welcome to the Truck Stop as well.
I'm more OBDII (1996 and up) oriented but the one thing these trucks all share, regardless of Diagnostic Systems, is the need for a healthy electrical system.

So, to me, it very much sounds like you need to go over the electrical system to ensure everything else is in shape before ordering an ECM.
Grounds/Earth: Very critical especially the ECM ground at the passenger side, back of the motor at the intake. AK Diesel Driver created this thread in the 'Stickies' section: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?8289-grounds-on-my-96&highlight=grounds.

Maintenance sticky link is here: Where you'll find a bunch of threads from Battery Cables to U Joints. Titled Diesel Technical REFERENCE Library, there a thread within titled "6.5 Diesel Technical Library" and that thread is linked here.

I've spent some time in Spain and very much enjoyed Jaca, Candanchu, Rota and Tarragona. You've a beautiful country and I hope to get back there some day.

Thank you very much, this information is very valuous, I'm in the correct way!!! (I think...)
Pavel , if you go to spain, visit barcelona, is a very nice city, and if you like coasts, costa daurada and costa brava are really beautifull, there are villages so variated.
Thanks.

Hi sirs,
finally the "beast" was started, runs, but with a lot of gray smoke, the iddle is correct,but it throotle without push the pedal one or two seconds and return to iddle, when I push the throotle pedal,more gray smoke and it makes a noise like the pump it's out of time, I turned the pump in advance and delay, and no positive result, I checked the timmig chain and are correct all the marks and I don't know what can be the problema, can you help me another time, please?:???:

with the PCM and FSD and injection pump new, the electric fuel pump not runs with the key in ON position, the pump is OK, the relay is OK, but don't have positive signal in relay, do you know where it's from this signal?
Thanks

You will want to do the dual lift pump relay upgrade on a 1994.

To jumper the lift pump to run while doing diagnostics, Run a fused jumper wire to the lift pump fuse holder under the cover - if the cover is still there on the passenger/right side firewall

I just hook it up and let it run.

Make sure your batteries keep fully charged. The truck has to spin over fast enough to start.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?4464-OPS-relay-install/page5&highlight=ops+relay

94 lift pump fuse

Back