• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starting the wish list

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
Right now I have no plans on upgrading the trans, but efi will be here on wednesday. So, planning for the future I want to get a list together. If it warrants it in the future I'll have a little guide to go by. I may have to trim some things, so I guess I'll have to an "optional" section. Since I have never built a trans or run one I am looking for some input here. Even though I have never dug into one, I'd rather do it myself. I like knowing how things are working, makes it easier to troubleshoot. So after a suggestion, can you list the approx cost of the item. And tell me what the approx costs are from my "starter" list.

I guess a tc would be obvious, but which one? I use this truck to haul, plow, and for a daily
driver (even though it's really not driven daily because I have a company vehicle- let's just call it a personal driver.)

What about a co-pilot, is that only required in extreme hp applications?
Is it just a valve body involved with converting to a 6 speed? Or would I need to change the tcm too?

I think maybe to make your suggestions easier also have two different catagories, up to 500 RWHP and 500-650 RWHP or whatever max is attainable, and driveable, with just efi, exhaust, and a filter. I don't plan on doing internals such as rods, pistons, cam, wrist pins, etc. unless they fail. If they fail I will most likely upgrade them as I don't like doing the same thing twice. I do have arp head studs, not that that matters for trans suggestions but thought some might like to know everything that I have before making suggestions and don't remember what I have in my sig. I also have boost and egt gauges with room for one more.

okay, 500 hp is attainable with your mods and a lift pump. over that your looking at a turbo and more fuel. but anyway do it once and do the s/c 4. your choice of converter. if you tow/plow the 1056 converter is a good choice. i went with the 1057 but they dont make it anymore. price wise your looking in the ball park of 3000 bucks. just for parts. the co pilot is in essence not needed if you do the s/c because it comes with the trans go which is esetially the electrical mod to make pressure vs the mechanical in the trans go.

That doesn't sound too too bad. What about the 6 speed conversion? Does anybody have any idea on that price and is it just the valve body? Does the conversion give you any higher gearing? I think stock for stock they both have the same final drive ratio. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm gonna start itching and want it whether I need it or not. I'll probably get the stuff when I sell the house. Or use efi to make it look like I need a tranny before the wife takes it! LOL

the 6 spd is a valve body and tcm. it has a lower ratio in 6th by about 300rpm. the conversion is about 1000 bucks iirc.

Back