• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter jammed?

My gear reduction starter needs a solenoid. Sometimes i can turn the key 10-12 times and it just goes "click!" and other times it spins right over. ALl connections are tight and the batteries are brand new.

If it wasn't for bad luck i'd have none at all it seems.....:mad2:

Call in the dog and piss on the fire...time for a reman...Stress just isn't worth it sometimes..I usually get them from a local builder. Auto parts mexican rebuilt stuff is mostly garbage. If ya wanna take a trip Guys auto electric in south windsor is good. i have used him for the big trucks.

Call in the dog and piss on the fire...time for a reman...Stress just isn't worth it sometimes..I usually get them from a local builder. Auto parts mexican rebuilt stuff is mostly garbage. If ya wanna take a trip Guys auto electric in south windsor is good. i have used him for the big trucks.

I"m headed out to a local rebuilder now with my GR starter. Barbin Auto Electric in Milford. I definitely recommend them for anyone in the area. Damn good customer service. :thumbsup:

I don't think the solenoid is bad. i checked the wiring and found one of the washer's that goes between the small positive(up to firewall circuit breaker) and the main battery connection was all rusted and i coudl see on the cable terminal where all the current was going through. It looked a tad burnt. I"m thinking thats my "clicking" problem. I've removed that washer and relocated the small positive(because the terminal broke off) to the drivers' side positive terminal on the battery. I made sure to leave the fusible link in place as well.

The guy at the rebuild shop tore the starter down right in front of me. There's nothing wrong with it. It looks brand new inside, he even said it himself. He figures it the gears during wind-down. He said he'll change out the shaft and drive gear for $20-30 with am OEM ACDelco one to see if it quiets down any. I would just use the starter but that noise just makes my skin crawl and while there may be nothing wrong now, it may cause something to break in the future.

the only real problems I've hit with the Dd starter's is the power wire to the brushes. the have a bad case of being melted. don't as how I know this:eek: I've learned to keep a spare handy. and yes I've melted mre than my fair share of the GR versions too.

8.3 Cummins. It's a nightmare. Truck came from Berkshires. Lots of rust and the head weighs a ton. Too big a job for me at this time of year. If it was summer and I could lay it up maybe but I need the truck back fast. Sometimes you just gotta pay.

Good luck with that. Cat is out of the OTR engine market as of the end of this year. Guess you'll be buying used. I wonder if the volvo/mack engines are any good. PACCAR is going to all cummins engines since cat is out of the game. That leaves you with detroit/mercedes, navistar or mack/volvo.

Good luck with that. Cat is out of the OTR engine market as of the end of this year. Guess you'll be buying used. I wonder if the volvo/mack engines are any good. PACCAR is going to all cummins engines since cat is out of the game. That leaves you with detroit/mercedes, navistar or mack/volvo.

Only Cumaparts in Paccar's? :nonod:

the way it reads on their website, They have a license to build cummins engines in their own plants. they say paccar on the motor, but they are cummins designs and the parts interchange.

Well, I won't be buying a new truck for along time . PLenty of used ones. The 3208T in my other truck has not given me a lick of trouble and it pulls way better.

The starter issue sounds like a dead starter with a serious short.

The failure to retract after the solenoid engages the drive is normal unless the starter turns the engine.

I think you will find that the starter is toast.

MGW

Well, I won't be buying a new truck for along time . PLenty of used ones. The 3208T in my other truck has not given me a lick of trouble and it pulls way better.
I was told a long time ago that CATs are great engines, but once you have any major internal problems it's time to throw it away and start over because they will never be the same again. This was after we had problems with the NA 3208 in a dump truck. And it never was the same after.

The failure to retract after the solenoid engages the drive is normal unless the starter turns the engine.

MGW
That would be a good assumption because he bench tested it. Just because that guy took it apart and said it looks good, doesn't mean it is.

MGW

Spot on MGW.

At least one of the field coils is shorted in the starter. Dead short to ground. I installed my gear reduction starter after the auto electric shop checked it out. That and two new 800CCA batteries and it spins beautifully.

I'll most likely install new field coils in the direct drive starter and keep it as a spare. it's cheaper than buying a new starter, and i'll at least know that good quality parts were used in the starter this way.

Back