• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter bolts broke

I found a starter bolt laying under the truck on Friday. When I replaced the starter back in March, I had the bracket in place, but somehow it worked it's way free from the starter. Got the remains of the broken stud out today.

I don't remember how the bracket attaches to the starter. There is an ear on the starter with a threaded hole - is a bolt supposed to go through that to attach to the bracket? If so, what size is that bolt supposed to be?

I found a starter bolt laying under the truck on Friday. When I replaced the starter back in March, I had the bracket in place, but somehow it worked it's way free from the starter. Got the remains of the broken stud out today.

I don't remember how the bracket attaches to the starter. There is an ear on the starter with a threaded hole - is a bolt supposed to go through that to attach to the bracket? If so, what size is that bolt supposed to be?

There is supposed to be a threaded stud in that hole on the starter, and then a nut and washer to hold the bracket to it. They are 1/4-20, I do believe

Last edited:
Here are a few pics that might help.

Attachments

• IMGP0946a.jpg
    IMGP0946a.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP0947a.jpg
    IMGP0947a.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP0949a.jpg
    IMGP0949a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP0951a.jpg
    IMGP0951a.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP0954a.jpg
    IMGP0954a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 11
A couple more...

You could fabricate your own with a small piece of 1" angle iron. The pics show the bracket alongside a tape measure so that you can determine approx dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMGP0946b.jpg
    IMGP0946b.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMGP0952a.jpg
    IMGP0952a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
I tried explaining my situation over on the other site and now this is the perfect time to bring it up. My son's 82 Blazer 6.2 had a broken housing where the solenoid bolts up, so we got a new starter from Auto Zone (because of lifetime warranty) and it is smaller than the original. The original bracket would not work AT ALL!! The original bracket does not look like the one here in the pics. The new starter does not appear to have a way to mount the bracket to it without fabricating something. Has anyone seen this before? The new starter spins the engine extremely fast. Here is a couple pics, it's hard to get the camera to the top, but you can see the bolts that hold the end cap are recessed about an inch.

Attachments

• CIMG3429.jpg
    CIMG3429.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 21
  • CIMG3430.jpg
    CIMG3430.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 19
There is supposed to be a threaded stud in that hole on the starter, and then a nut and washer to hold the bracket to it. They are 1/4-20, I do believe

Thanks, it was 1/4". Got it all back in place yesterday. Made a mental note to make sure I check everything is still tight at every oil change and any other time I'm under there.

Back