• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter bolts broke

bud9899

Recruit
Reaction score
Well, just a reminder to everyone to check your starter bolts. Mine snapped off. I used a pack of small drill bits that have the quick change adapter on the shaft. Used a 6" bit attachment for an extension, slipped in the bit and started drilling. (WEAR SAFETY GLASSES) Small pilot hole, small easy out and the threaded bolt backed out of the block easily. Truck shows no signs of having the elusive bracket. Any ideas where I could get a bracket other than the dealer? Anyone know where I could get some industrial strength bolts?

ON a good note, it happened at home, in the drive and I got a vehicle I could borrow and drive.

Check your bolts at your next oil change.

Can you get in there with a mig and weld a nut onto the broken bolt? I've used this trick on broken exhaust bolts/studs. It works great because it also applies heat to the bolt/stud to make it come out easier.

the bracket for the starter is a dealer only part, but if I remember correctly, it was under $20..... I also got the replacement starter bolts there. The PO left it out when he changed the starter, and mine broke in the freezing rain, 35 miles from home....

Also, it is an 8mm, 1.5 pitch bolt into the block. I picked up a tap and cleaned out the threads so it would be an easier job putting bolt in.....

Yep, time for another reminder to everyone about the 100% necessary cheapie little starter bracket...

Info and pics courtesy of Teroma25 - Good Canuck boy

GM P/N 23502557
Price $4.30 with GST $4.56 (CDN)

Attachments

• starterbracket2.jpg
    starterbracket2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 35
  • starterbracket1.jpg
    starterbracket1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 39
Yep, time for another reminder to everyone about the 100% necessary cheapie little starter bracket...

Info and pics courtesy of Teroma25 - Good Canuck boy

GM P/N 23502557
Price $4.30 with GST $4.56 (CDN)

Awww thanx Jimbo!

On a side note, I just got in from swappin' everythin' over to the new truck. Changed it all over, everythin' went smooth but just realized I forgot somethin'. The damn starter bracket!!! I haven't had one on my truck for quite some time, meant to put it on durin' the engine swap, got home read this thread and ......:incazzato:

Oh man... where I got the pics, on march 26, 2008, you said:

Teroma25 said:
I have a new one sittin' on the seat of my truck. I should install it soon...

ROFL! You're as bad as I am!

Sparky, the bolts are already out.

I'm waiting on my local bolt distributor to open Monday so I can get a couple of grade **.* bolts. The * stands for the highest quality bolts they have. I also picked up 2 of the cheap chrome bolts in the help packs today for a get on the road quick fix. I'll call the stealer tomorow and get a bracket coming. Anyone have a pick of it installed or just hold your tongue right while you scratch around till it fits?

94K30, my bolts that came out are M10x1.5 bolts. Maybe it has been stripped and tapped once before if your's were 8mm.
Anywho, I just wanted to throw out the reminder, on your next oil change, check your starter for looseness.
On a side note, it fired it up for 3 weeks with one bolt holding it. Lucky I didn't crack the block. We found a bolt in the drive 3 weeks ago but it looked as if it was under the wifes car. So up it went on stands, flashlight and about an hour touching every bolt in the block, tranny and suspension. Nothing missing. I smiled and said, whoever is missing a bolt will know it when another bolt breaks and something rattles. Well, I got the rattle or clank----whizzz as it were.

Take care everyone and Happy Fathers Day to all you Dad's out there.

Bud

The stock bolts (and those from the stealer) are knurled on the shoulder. I believe this is to keep the starter from wandering about. I doubt if your bolt distributer is going to have them... They weren't very much from the Chevy place down the road.

Well, get out the Vaseline fellas if you decide to get a bracket from the stabber I mean stealer. 1st price 13.66 and gotta order it, second price 16.88 in stock, online 19.** delivered.
I got a couple of grade 12.9 bolts in the exact length, no knurling on the shoulder but both of the old ones broke at the knurling and the threads so to me it looked to be a weak spot. I'll roll the dice on my new bolts. Going by to get screwed at the dealer this afternoon, luckily they have plenty of "screw you" oil in the shop so it shouldn't hurt to bad and my wallet will be thinner so easier to sit on too.

Take care and stay cool in the heat.

The little bracket isn't that hard to put on. You gotta be creative and reach around the suspension and come in from the side to get the bolt in the block. Do the body spin on the ground to change your reaching angle to attach the bracket on the end of the starter. So all you procrastinators, take 10 minutes and put your bracket on. I got a schematic showing how it attaches if any one needs to see it I'll scan it and post it. A pic was worth a thousand words for sure.

I was (unknowingly) starting my engine with one bolt for a couple of weeks. I thought the starter motor was going out as it was making strange noises.
Unfortunately the lonely bolt became loose on a cold and wet Friday evening and there was only the sound of a starter motor spinning freely.

I have just dropped in a new longblock and noticed on the old starter ring that about 1/4 of the teeth had been worn down. I am sure this was due to starting with just one bolt.

I think it is a good idea to check the torque on the two bolts and I will try to do it everytime that I change the oil.

Well, get out the Vaseline fellas if you decide to get a bracket from the stabber I mean stealer. 1st price 13.66 and gotta order it, second price 16.88 in stock, online 19.** delivered.
I got a couple of grade 12.9 bolts in the exact length, no knurling on the shoulder but both of the old ones broke at the knurling and the threads so to me it looked to be a weak spot. I'll roll the dice on my new bolts. Going by to get screwed at the dealer this afternoon, luckily they have plenty of "screw you" oil in the shop so it shouldn't hurt to bad and my wallet will be thinner so easier to sit on too.

Take care and stay cool in the heat.

I rememeber going through this with my 6.2s which use the same bolts. There is a reason they are knuled and you have to use thise bolts. I don't rememeber what it was but definitely use them. I think Dorman also sells them. Can't remember but I just ordered new bolts for mine since I have to put the bracket on anyway I'm going to change them as PM.

94K30, my bolts that came out are M10x1.5 bolts. Maybe it has been stripped and tapped once before if your's were 8mm.

Bud

The bolt that goes through the bracket into the block is an 8mm... not the 2 main starter bolts. If that was not in, the whole in the block would be all corroded up by now, making it hard to put that bolt in.....

Yep 94, I just now understood what you meant. Corroded hole in black is right. :willynilly:The GM parts lady told me the same size you did for the bolt, I just didn't catch what you meant.:smash: M8x1.25x18mm is the bolt size GM calls for (its the bolt that holds the bracket to the block for anyone picking up pieces to do this). There is a mounting point on the starter. I used a 20mm bolt($4 at NAPA, grade 10.9, probably $.50 at a bolt store but NAPA was still open) with a lock washer to fill in a mm. I wish I had a tap that size but I was determined to get her back on the road at the moment. Thanks for helping. I think the replacement size for the starter bolts was M10x1.5x113mm. My invoice shows 110mm but they lined up length wise identical to what came out.

So a good summary of parts needed for adding a starter bracket would be:

Qty___Part____________________....
1 = GM P/N 23502557...starter bracket
1 = M8x1.25x18mm bolt (holds bracket to block)
1 = M8x1.25 tap (if your truck's bolt hole is corroded)
1 = 8mm lock washer
2 = M10x1.5x113 bolts (if your starter bolts are broken)
About 10-15 minutes of time and some good hand cleaner when your done.

I rememeber going through this with my 6.2s which use the same bolts. There is a reason they are knuled and you have to use thise bolts. I don't rememeber what it was but definitely use them. I think Dorman also sells them. Can't remember but I just ordered new bolts for mine since I have to put the bracket on anyway I'm going to change them as PM.
the reason for the knurled part is it acts as a dowel to line up the starter and the block, part of the knurl goes into the block.

Yep 94, I just now understood what you meant. Corroded hole in black is right. :willynilly:The GM parts lady told me the same size you did for the bolt, I just didn't catch what you meant.:smash: M8x1.25x18mm is the bolt size GM calls for (its the bolt that holds the bracket to the block for anyone picking up pieces to do this). There is a mounting point on the starter. I used a 20mm bolt($4 at NAPA, grade 10.9, probably $.50 at a bolt store but NAPA was still open) with a lock washer to fill in a mm. I wish I had a tap that size but I was determined to get her back on the road at the moment. Thanks for helping. I think the replacement size for the starter bolts was M10x1.5x113mm. My invoice shows 110mm but they lined up length wise identical to what came out.

So a good summary of parts needed for adding a starter bracket would be:

Qty___Part____________________....
1 = GM P/N 23502557...starter bracket
1 = M8x1.25x18mm bolt (holds bracket to block)
1 = M8x1.25 tap (if your truck's bolt hole is corroded)
1 = 8mm lock washer
2 = M10x1.5x113 bolts (if your starter bolts are broken)
About 10-15 minutes of time and some good hand cleaner when your done.

I got my taps (I used a standard tap, then a bottoming tap) at NAPA....
don't forget the 1/4-20 nut and lockwasher for the threaded stud on the starter...

Funny that this should come up...
I just finished helping a buddy who swapped a 6.5 Turbo into a 8? CCLB Dually remove his broken starter bolt. The bolts are only about 3 bucks each at the local GMC dealer.

Back