• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stanadyne reduces its warranty on PMDs to (((ONE))) month!!!!

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
What the hell! I guess they want out of the game. I'll probably quit carrying them at some point soon. I always recommend the Flight Systems anyway. Who wants to pay more for something and get less warranty!?? Its a no brainer get the Flight Systems it cost less and has one year warranty.

That is disappointing.

Wonder why? Do you get many request for warranty claims for the newer units? Think the loss of control (fewer dealer installs) and move to remote mount has caused it or age of product surrounding the PMD ie ECM, electrical, grounds, overall age of most 6.5's?

Some companies don't seem to want to spend the money on warranty service as there is not much return on the investment. Warranty service is labor intensive and depending on company usually doesn't really make it back to Engineering or Manufacturing. Information gained gets lost on customer service.

Probably just trying to slow the bleeding on the product failures eating profit. Too bad they can't engineer one to just last instead.

Stanadyne PMDs have never sat well with me anyway.
They have known about PMD problems since atleast 1994. No telling how many IP's have been R&Red due to a bad PMD. They tried band-aid fixes over the years but never got it right. Then their latest and greatest Grey PMD was only made after Flight System came to market. Flight Systems took over the spot and is now GM's PMD replacement. Stanadyne tried to salvage their account with GM by making the grey PMD, but it was to late. Even with Stanadyne's latest grey PMD they still have more issues than Flight Systems.

This post is only my opinion yours may vary.

From Uncle's stastical perspective, the PMD looks like a highly reliable design. Here are SaferCar.gov results for 1994 - 2002 as of today:
> "pump mounted driver": 8
> "PMD": 17
> "fuel solenoid driver": 0
> "FSD": 2

Still think that some of the overall issue lies with us as owners by not making sure the Government knows about the issue.

From an encouraging perspective, I noticed two entries from last month that were back-dated to 2010.

Wile I do not know when SaferCar.gov went online (and likely it was sometime late (or after) in the GMT400 production life), point is that Uncle simply is not getting any good data to step-in and force the issue. Based on all the commentary here on TTS (and other sites) regarding the PMD (and other allegedly common 'gotchas' like the ignition switch), if Uncle were somehow provided good data (ex: warrantee logs from GM, sales figures from Stanadyne (and other vendors), entries in SaferCar.gov, etc . . .), something might come of it.

And just in case anybody feels that making an entry in SaferCar.gov is merely adding bits to a database . . . I made an entry some time ago regarding a catastrophic rear brake failure in my SOB. About a year later I was contacted by SaferCar.gov regarding similar failures in the GM product line. So, every report *counts*!

Any luck with the new design you were trying out?

Back