• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

stalling

clajam

Reaction score
i have a 1998 GMC Sierra Turbo Deisel and Ive changed the pmd and thought it was the lift pump but its not making a loud clanking sound and when i open the velve on the fuel filter fuel comes out it started to stumble and then when i slowed down it died and now wont start and thanks for our help

Referred here by td

Last edited:
i have a 1998 GMC Sierra Turbo Deisel and Ive changed the pmd and thought it was the lift pump but its not making a loud clanking sound and when i open the velve on the fuel filter fuel comes out it started to stumble and then when i slowed down it died and now wont start and thanks for our help

First of all, relax a minute, be more clear about your PMD replacement, location you replaced it to, time.

And lift pump testing method's and results.

Relax friend, you found the right place. We'll have your truck up and running again. Spend some time in the FAQ's looking for your own answers while people are responding.

it was put onthe driver side wheel well i open the t valve and had a steedy streem of fuel and the open the valve at the filter and there was fuel coming out will it was being turned over and the other day going to town it was stumbling and then when i came to a stop it died and would not start and that was after the pmd change

Ok, let me see if I got this right... you put a new PMD on the driver's side wheel well?

Does it have a heat sink on it, or is it just attached to the wheelwell?

After you put in the new PMD, the truck ran fine?

It sounds like you opened the T-handle and fuel was coming out, so your lift pump is fine.

Then, after you tested the lift pump, you drove the truck?

And it was fine?

How long did you drive it for, before it died?

Think carefully... the answers to all the blue questions are very important, so be clear.

See where I'm going with this, guys?

Spot on Jim

Clajam our ability for us to help you is based on info you provide us with, a signature with truck info would be handy as well, so I/we don't have to keep popping to top post to know what flavor of vehicle we are advising on, after a while if a lot of trouble shooting happens basic info gets lost from the memory bank member to member, sig inf keeps us on track.

you put a new PMD on the driver's side wheel well? yes

Does it have a heat sink on it, or is it just attached to the wheelwell? it has heat sink on it

After you put in the new PMD, the truck ran fine? for about 2 hours sitting and 20 min driving

Then, after you tested the lift pump, you drove the truck? no i did this after it died to see if it was the problem

And it was fine? i dont know because i dont want another tow bill till i try something different

How long did you drive it for, before it died? about 20 min

1998 gmc 6.5 td ext 4x4 k&n air filter and the rest stock 260km on truck 60000 km on motor

Last edited:
Clajam, go to USER CP at the top of the forum page, and choose edit signataure...

We need to know what type of vehicle ur diagnosing.

For example, at the bottom of this post see what it always leaves. The Signature.

You know more about my truck then I do yours, and you're the one who needs help. See where I'm going?

The way the last post is written, I am confused about the order in which the testing and stalling occured. I am sure you have answered JiFaire's questions,but a little punctuation and sentence structure would make it easier to decipher.

How do you extend the PMD cable? May want to check that, make sure you connect them correctly and it is not rubbing onto any metal that can cause some chafed on the wire insulation.

New Stanadyne or D-Tech,

bought from reputable dealer or ebay,
(many sold on ebay are cleaned up old ones sold as new).

Did you install the resistor in the new one's socket,

plastic caps over the transistors or take them off,

did you put a heat transfer pad between the driver or use heat transfer paste?

Last edited:
New Stanadyne

Did you install the resistor in the new one's socket. new one socket

plastic caps over the transistors or take them off. took them off

did you put a heat transfer pad between the driver or use heat transfer paste? yes

can a lift pump quit working when it get hot and then work when it is cool because today i cleaned all the ground and cable ends and went for a drive and it died again after 20 min and would not start so i open the valve on the fuel filter and ther was no fuel so i let it sit for 30 min and did it again and then there was fuel so i went and bout a new lift pump and i am going to try that hope it works

Back