• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

squeak when turning while towing

blizzardplowman

Crowd Control
Reaction score
Guys, I got a squeak that shows up only on turns when pulling my toy hauler. Sounds like a metal on metal type rub, notice it more while turning a hard right , the left is not as often or as loud. I've lubed the hitch, checked the trailer springs (lippert triple 6k axles), can't find crap. any ideas? :mad2:

Leaf springs are all I can think of.Lend it to me for the Memorial Day weekend and I'll try to duplicate it!):h

to the best of your knoledge what direction is it coming from? rear of truck, front,, hitch area(bed) trailer??? more info and we will try to get it for ya'!!

Leaf springs are all I can think of.Lend it to me for the Memorial Day weekend and I'll try to duplicate it!):h
Long haul just to get close to you :crazy: I have thought about the springs also.... Just not sure what to lube. FWIW trailer has about 30k on it, we have put 3k on it this year already.. Dang fuel prices:sick:

to the best of your knoledge what direction is it coming from? rear of truck, front,, hitch area(bed) trailer??? more info and we will try to get it for ya'!!
Behind me is all I can tell, worst when turning right. Straight down the road or changing lanes will not make the noise. Drives me nuts....Not that I have far to go ):h

I did , but will dbl check them, I was wondering if it was hidden under the trim, might need to have a look :(

Your leaf springs are first thing that come to mind, but I also know that the way my chains are attached they cause a squeak all the time

Without hearing it, and just a guess, its' probably the springs, bolts & shackles.

The reason I say that is when you turn a 2 or 3 axle trailer and while looking at the tires and wheels, you can see a lot of torque on the suspension.

I just upgraded mine to a wet bolt (greasable) kit with bronze bushings. All that was in there when I removed the old bolts and dropped the springs and hangers down was plastic bushings that had almost wore through.

I have the Mor Ryde suspension system and I had to order it through them because of the special plate that goes in between the springs. If you do a search, Dexter makes most of the wet bolt kits.

After getting the upgraded/modified plate, I could have made mine work with some metal lathe work and mig welding.

Kind of pricey. Dealing with Mor Ride was cheaper:
http://www.trailair.com/products/equaflex/pricing.php

For the Dexter suspension:
http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/18099

My kit was $170 from directly from Mor Ryde. They sent me the prints for the different models of suspensions that they produce and I called them back and made the order.

FWIW, before ordering, measure the center to center distance between the springs in the middle and let them know that measurment.

I hope this helps explain things a little more.

Charlie

Is the trailer a 5th wheel or a tongue pull? Did you lube the hitch plate or use a nylon dri lube disk?

If it is a tonque pull, are you using a sway control? If so then it is probably the sway control. Do not grease it or it won't work. Back off the friction.

Last edited:
41' fifth wheel toy hauler, lub disc.... I am leaning to the shackel bolts. hope to pull one apart this weekend.

Back