• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sqeeking Belts on LBZ's

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seem alot of LBZ owners have this issue. I have had it since day one. And still never done anything about it. Its quite annoying on a $40,000 truck.

If you fixed your what did you do?

Try a gatorback belt.

Just comparing it side to side shows how much better it is.

If that doesnt help then I dont know.

Some say GM has an updated alternator to take care of the issue.

There is a different design alternator out there to deal with that issue. It has a one way roller clutch in the pulley to allow the internals of the alternator to free spool to slow down to engine rpms when sudden rpm drope occur, like with transmission shifts and engine shutdown. This is also used on the Corvette, SSR and GTO to prevent belt chirp when the trans shifts at wot.

Sqeek Fix

Seem alot of LBZ owners have this issue. I have had it since day one. And still never done anything about it. Its quite annoying on a $40,000 truck.

If you fixed your what did you do?
yea i too had the sqeek. gm replaced the alt. with a clutch one an i also put a gatorback belt on. now i'm squeek free like it should've been from day one. goodluck.:clap2:

You could stand up on the bumper and pee on the belts....the urea in your urine acts as a lubricant.....It has to be warm though, if its cold it won't work

lmao...I was going to see if I could get anyone to actually do this but then I thought it was a little mean...it'd be funny though if someone fell for it...damn that truck would reek ...lol

Mine has squeaked since day one, I have 25,000 miles on it now.
Mostly when it's cold, and since I don't want to leave it, I let it squeak.
It is damn annoying, and embarrassing.
Sounds like an old washing maching, but hey, like you said, what do you want for $40k?
You can stop it temporarily by pouring a small amount of water on it, I'm too old to make it up on the bumper.

Aligning the p/s pump pulley will take care of this issue as well......There is a TSB on it.....I believe the gator back and clutched alternator is for the chirp at shutdown....

Mine only squeaks for just a quick second at first start up in the a.m. when its cold out then it goes away...

Does anybody know a part number for the Gatorback belt? Everytime I call the parts stores they either say that there isn't one for my truck or they don't even know what I am talking about. :noidea:

Back