• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Spontaneous Starter Engagement -NO KEY IN TRUCK

97sierra6.5

Reaction score
So this is something I've never encountered. I'm in my garage working on another project, when I hear my 6.5 turbo diesel Sierra cranking over in the driveway, but not firing. Thinking my wife is trying to start the truck but didn't wait for the glow plugs, I head out to check it out. I see my truck walking across the lawn under starter power. (truck is a manual, was left in gear when parked.) I also see that no one is in the truck. I chase it down, jump in, and find that there is not even a key in the ignition. Neutral, e-brake, and pop the hood. Didn't stop cranking until I disconnected both batteries. Needless to say the electrics got quite hot. Has anyone ever heard of a spontaneous electrical failure that ENGAGED the starter?? Truck is a 97, immaculate, with only 60k original miles on the odometer. Any advice would be appreciated...

1.Faulty starter solenoid.
2.Chaffed wires to the solenoid connecting together.
3.If you have a remote start system, possible failure there.
4.They guy you killed and stole his truck is now haunting you and the truck.

Mind you only 3 of the 4 have not been taught to me by tv.

1.Faulty starter solenoid.
2.Chaffed wires to the solenoid connecting together.
3.If you have a remote start system, possible failure there.
4.They guy you killed and stole his truck is now haunting you and the truck.

Mind you only 3 of the 4 have not been taught to me by tv.
Thanks for the reply. My first 6.5 td, so I'm looking at whether or not the solenoid is at the starter like a traditional chevv v8 or separate. I didn't think of a previous owner installing a remote start system. I'll definitely look into that angle. And I didn't kill the previous owner, but I absolutely stole this truck. (or at least I thought I did, before it started wandering off on it's own..)

Thanks for the reply. My first 6.5 td, so I'm looking at whether or not the solenoid is at the starter like a traditional chevv v8 or separate. I didn't think of a previous owner installing a remote start system. I'll definitely look into that angle. And I didn't kill the previous owner, but I absolutely stole this truck. (or at least I thought I did, before it started wandering off on it's own..)
Now you know why he sold it.

Ok, pull the starter, look super close at the wires on the starter solenoid itself. Yes, just like other chevys.
The 2 could bump each other right there if he goofed it up, and one that was loose connected to the other.

Also rodents chewing wires could have shorted them together.

I think it's just p.o'ed that it didn't get the spot in the garage..(they are very temperamental you know) .. not sure advice for this one.. I'm very interested to see how this plays out..you can remote start a diesel????? Grrrr

About 10% of hummers got them. Kinda trendy or something. Basically an alarm system that has extra options. Hit button “x” on remote and it engages ignition, then some have time delay and will self apply secondary circuit which would be start. Others the secondary circuit is you hitting button “y”.
When installed correctly AND is a high quality unit, they are nice. You want it for heat in morning and warm up, here people want them for a/c to cool truck.
Super touchy subject on hummer forum because SO MANY people had issue and spent time removing.

Been watching forums for a good while and this is the first spontaneous starter I have heard of. Mostly its faulty the other way and won't crank.

The starter solenoid is pretty big and needs a fair amount of current to operate. I'd be looking for critters that may have shorted some wiring. A snake or mouse comes to mind. Could be anywhere between starter and ignition switch or even a branch circuit from a shared node. But since it did not start up and was only cranking I am thinking the start circuitry was shorted and not all the run circuits. Might be near or at the starter solenoid like Will mentioned. Then work backwards and see if a branch circuit back fed the starter.

Just a bad solenoid contact plate can do it. When the plates get “arc wear” from arc discharge, it can build up the carbon and silicates —and moisture amplifies it.
This build up is conductive and can cause it. It is pretty rare though.

Appears most the possibilities has been covered, just saying welcome to thetruckstop 97. If possible, could You post some pics of Your truck, be nice to see one that does not have several hundred thousand miles on it. LOL

Back