• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sponsors

xxRes1cuexx

Recruit
Reaction score
Well, money is tight right now, and will be for a while. I cant give up pulling. I pull a gasser, in the Street Mod 6200, 6400, and 7000. My fiance and I are serious about pulling, and I just cant give it up.

My father, a ProMod tractor class puller said to look into sponsors, as he has. I have tossed it around at work, and have been offered some sponsors, by some auto parts places, and some farms, and a John Deere Place. What do I do about them. I have approached Diesel Truck for stickers, and We have decided on Magnetic Signs for my few sponsors. Heres a few of my questions,

What should I ask of my sponsors, I take it serious, and they are all very helpful. Should I just accept what they accept or mention things that they could each help me with, examples not mandatory.

I send them all thank You cards and pictures, as well as a season end get together. Is this enough. I want them to know I appreciate them.

Is a set of Magentic Signs with a list of them on it enough for them to be advertised. I cant afford alot at this point, but want them pleased. I want them all to have the same size, as times are tough and not everyone can afford what my main sponsor provides me with.

I dont want to come off conceited or errogant, these sponsors are the reason I pull, and can pull.

Maybe durallymax will chime in here. As he is a puller and has worked with sponsors Josh.

I do know a lot of company's are willing to do this, but this comes at a bad time with the economy in the shape it's in right now.

Basically, all you can do is ask. Motivate them with a reason why they should sponsor you.

Heres what I did.

I started by talking to the people who do work for our farm. I sat down one night and called a few of them, our electrician our concrete guys, our excavator the guy who does small construction jobs for us and one other person who wishes to remain anonymous. These people are the people who are most likely going to help you out. with the 5 phone calls I made all of my responses were yes.

Now prior to this I had already had a sponsor lined up since last may but we never did anything till last fall. This was the implement dealership that we do most of our business at and I now work at. My boss loves pulling, he doesnt pull himself as he has no time, but he loves supporting local pullers and helping them out how he can.

Im currently starting to look for more sponsors to help cover the costs of broken parts and fixed costs (hotels, fuel, entry fees, etc.) For these I start out local, some of the locals dont know my truck well so I make sure to bring a DVD and plenty of info on it, and the truck so they can see it if they like. Out of my 3 attempts I have gotten 3 no's.

Sometimes sponsorships of this nature dont work out for legal reasons with some larger companies. I have a local one where they were restricted to sponsoring 4-H events and such, which is perfectly fine. But they still wanted to help me out if they could, so they simply have me use their discount at certain stores. Its not much but still helps.

Now I like to be fair to all of my sponsors and make them feel like no one sponsor is better than the other, however you do still have to give credit to the big ones. Which Is why I kind of structured it. The Big sponsor gets a big sticker if they want, with the amount they have put into the truck I will not hold them back. The other smaller sponsors get a decent 12x12 or similar sticker so as to have enough space to fit them all on there.

Another thing that Ive always made sure not to do is mention how much each sponsor gives me, it means nothing and can make one sponsor feel of lesser value than another sponsor.

Im all about doing whatever it takes to keep the sponsor happy but you do have to set some guidlines which is why i have an agreement. it basically states what the sponsor intends to provide and a dealine of when it is to be provided by. However I am not strict on these but it lets them know that I do need the money/parts by a certain time to get the truck ready.

To keep the sponsors happy I keep them updated on the truck and whats been done to it and how it performs. Recently I drove it out to all of their places and gave them a ride. Another thing I do is install go fast parts and do tuning for free, since all but one of my sponsors have duramaxes. I also provide them with merchandise and will be having an end of the year party. Another thing I do is make tthe truck very public if you havent noticed.

Another thing to do is get a reciept booklet. Some of them will want a receipt for tax reasons, make sure they know they can write it off as a donation.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it sometimes work out nicely to get parts instead of money. Like your auto parts store, if they basically just provide you with the small parts you need(clamps, hose, filters, fluid etc) this can add up big time in a hurry as its the small costs that add up in the long run.

The current economy is tough on everybody, but around here pulling is big and people still want to be a part of it if they can.

Working with sponsors is usually not too bad. Its best to keep them happy but you also have to set some guidelines so that stuff gets done in a timely fashion, pulling is always a last minute ordeal and sometimes sponsors need to be reminded of this. However they are the ones giving you stuff so if having it to you by next week doesnt work out, then I guess youll just have to wait.

The best advice I can give you is just ask, the worst thing they can say is no. You never get anything by wondering what if. Thats my life motto.

Good luck.

Thanks,

I have thought of a list of folks that would be willing to help. I have worked automotive for a while. Its hard pulling with a gasser, because I have to set my own standard, especially around here where its all oilburners. I have my main sponsor, as you can see across my windshield, even though it is my family farm, being that I have the lift and all the tools to do as I wish, and my dad being a Pro Mod tractor puller, realizes the cost, is generous. I have a seperate account and debit card for my pulling money. I have a garage that wants to help out, the local John deere place gave me a check, and a rear window sticker, but I need to be creative as to where to put that, as I have a memorium in my rear window to my uncle, who is the reason I pull, as it was part of his dream too. My fathers company that he works for has been more than general, as the owner is my second father. I now have a 07 F450, and a 38 foot custom rollback trailer for all my stuff. I have to pay for fuel, but can take it to any pull I want, so it will help, especially if someone breaks down in my truck 'club' they have a ride too. My part time job at Uhaul had to send a request to corporate, but the franchise owner has offered a 6x12 enclosed trailer to be stored at my house for my air compressor and welder etc, for the whole season, all for 2 4x8 decals. So far the cash on hand is still low, but the friendships and help is more than plentiful. I have enough room on the trailer to back the uhaul on too it lol. So far things are looking good, and I am glad I dont have to take out a loan to pull this year, cause I deeply thought about it. So far I have figured without breaks, 200 a weekend is about what it costs. I have been looking for my cummins 12v for this truck, and one of the garages has a wrecker with one wit 103k on it, that they are looking to get rid of. Hopefully there will be a class change next year. Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud really. Have a good one and thanks.

My decals are all removeable. Since I still driv the truck some it works out better for both me and the sponsors.

You mean you dont want your sponsors evident when your doing bunker donuts lol....

Mine will all be On a commercial Magnet, as I got a good deal on some from a very generous gentleman...

He ought to put a DC motor on it, and actuate it left right, up and down. What would you think, if your rocking out to Hoobastank in your jetta with the window down, and look over your should just to see a massive green culvert thing with 700hp of fury on the other end, about to fill your eye balls with shit...

Back