• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Splayed Mains......

I stopped back at the machine shop earlier this week to talk to the guy, and he has been off work since I last saw him and now has a big cage around his leg with pins sticking through his leg to hold it together :eek: I didn't ask him what happened yet, but it looked pretty bad and he was having trouble getting around.

I did however, bring him my engine block, and we determined a couple ways to cut down costs more (manufacturing time basically) He told me he would get back to me by the end of the week, but he didn't. I'm not going to push him though, because he's doing me a big favour :) I'll definitely post back here when I get word, and when it will be done.

Last edited:
Are you sand casting a mono cast unit and then machining the surfaces? This would be the most efficient way to make it. I am not sure that you could make a bolt on mono cap unit that wouldn't require the block to be line honed after installation,just thinking out loud here.

I am not sure that you could make a bolt on mono cap unit that wouldn't require the block to be line honed after installation,just thinking out loud here.

10-4 on that. If I were lucky enough to get a copy of CI6's mono cap, I would most definitely line bore. It's usually strongly recommended with any cap change- if not mandatory.

I have taken on another "project" that is taking up my time, and all of my money (see avatar). Been busy working with Duramax stuff the last few months. There have been many changes (google CN Blocks to get an idea) have an order lined up, but again I am busy starting my business, and literally have no money to spare.

I'd pay $500 for a set of 6.5 turbo headers! Thats twice as much as the ones for my Z28, but cheaper than extrude honing the manifolds. Is it possible?

A couple weeks ago a local guy wanted an all stainless twin turbo setup on his 6.5, I'm not sure who he talked to... but he told me the guy wanted $1600 (which included the second turbo and all hardware) and apparently he thought it was too much money.

A couple weeks ago a local guy wanted an all stainless twin turbo setup on his 6.5, I'm not sure who he talked to... but he told me the guy wanted $1600 (which included the second turbo and all hardware) and apparently he thought it was too much money.

I am not saying a thing, new product. Hum I am getting a flash back to another place and time. oh wait I woke up. To much money where have I heard that before. Welcome to the world of the vendor, someone will always think that it is to much money.

Well hurry up with those 'other projects' already! I'm gonna have to tear into my 6.5 to find out where my oil pressure went and I want one of those girdles when I put it back together. It's either that or break into GEP and steal one of their's off the parts shelf. Sure would be simpler if they would just sell them(and a few other parts) seperate. I just don't have the coin for a P400 right now.

Not to keep beating this horse, but......um......any word on how much this girdle will cost? And when can I expect to be able to buy one?

How about...

Not to keep beating this horse, but......um......any word on how much this girdle will cost? And when can I expect to be able to buy one?

... we work out a low-production licensing agreement, and I get us a low cost prototyping quote?

I have a friend with a idle waterjet machine. If the design lends itself to being cut this way, or even rough cut, it could cut costs significantly for an initial prototype or low quantity production run.

Just thinking out loud here. Time's a-wastin'...

Personally, I'm probably going to whip out a variation on MaxPF/MikeyVon's theme, and whittle that design down just enough to clear the pan. Should be more than sufficient for any power I'll ever wring out of my motor.

Personally, I'm probably going to whip out a variation on MaxPF/MikeyVon's theme, and whittle that design down just enough to clear the pan. Should be more than sufficient for any power I'll ever wring out of my motor.

I have not had the pan off of mine, but from looking at the pics I think it can be made to fit a stock pan with a little trimming of the girdle.

The great thing about CIL6's girdle/main cap idea is that it addresses all the cracking problems, distributing forces across the entire bottem end. I'd buy one or maybe even 2 if someone made them at low enough cost.

I have been rather busy with the Dmax stuff, as that has an acceptable profit margin and I need money lol. Also I do not have the funds right now to make one. My machine shop never got a quote together for me, but they did tell me that they cannot water-jet that thick of material. There is another place that they directed me to who can, but I have not handed them the prints yet. As soon as I have ANY updates about it I will post them here :) If there is a lot of progress I will start my own thread though.

Back