• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Spin on filter choice (s)

MACKIN

The Original Sheriff
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed to death before but I can ONLY report my findings.

Recently I changed out my Allison spin on. I was out of the OEM red ones so I just went to Napa and picked up their filter. I believe they
re Wix brand?

Anyway I've been driving my truck as of late because my Jeep is in the shop plus I'm doing some maintenance in preparation for a upcoming trip and towing. By the way it feels good to be back in the saddle. :)

What I seen was ,that I recall, is higher than normal to certain degree transmission temps. Nothing drastic but higher. I have two sources of temperature readings the dash cluster and I have a bung in my pan and Autometer guage.

Any hoo I've always had issues with the way the magnet covers up the holes in the filter and or that they were just smaller in circumference.

So while I was at the dealer not wanting to drive 50 miles to get cheap filters I bucked up and paid the ridiculous price at the dealer. I swapped the filter out.

I'm seeing up to a 20 degree temperature difference! What can I tell you I only report what I see.

Is it because I have a built transmission and higher line pressure? Is it because I have a ATS transmission? Will you see the same difference in a Suncoast? A stock transmission? I don't know for sure

I'd be interested in hearing if others have seen or haven't seen this.

I know the transmission experts say it doesn't matter but IMO there is some differences in these transmissions and builders. For the most part I believe ATS (or at least mine) had no magnet on the spin on when I received it. Do they leave it off for a reason or is it a oversight?

Beets me,YMMV

My Suncoast based built tranny has higher temps due to increased line pressure, even with the Allison filter. I would not want to even try another filter brand if the temps will go up even more.

It sounds like someone forgot your magnet.

I have never experienced a difference.

And many others have too,I don't get it but for some reason or another I see a difference in temperature.

I'm not gonna fight it ,I'll stick with the red filter.

That's what I do. $7.93+tax for the Allison filter at my local Medium Duty GMC dealer, who also is an Allison service facility.

Exactly. Last time I bought 6 of them, an extra magnet and an extra drain plug for less than $60 just to keep on hand. Down to my last filter now, so it's time to stock up again. The dealer here in Tampa has the best prices I've ever seen on TranSynd also- $32 per gal and $129 per 5 gal.

Why not use the Ally filter, they are cheap from an Allison Dealer.

Ya that's what I'm gonna do. Problem is the closet one is expensive. The one I need to go to is about a 50 mile road trip. I have two right now and when I put the second one on I'm gonna stock up.

I'll say it again for some dumb ODD reason I DEFINATELY see a temperature difference. I don't get it!

Perhaps someone can explain the fluid flow in a Allison. I understand it draws from the pan and ...........

Mack
I only use the Allison filter in my shop. Joe Webb ( Suncoast ) and I both used the white Seal Power filters years ago and never had a problem. Allison themselves have tested the 8 hole filter and gave it an ok. Joe and I decided not to fight it and switched 4 years ago. I do believe you when you say that you had higher temps. You know your truck better than any tech. I have had a couple of Allison filters cause higher temps according to my customers and they solved the problem with another filter.

The problem is that the tranny filter from Napa. The magnet covers up the holes a bit more than the stock filter. At least that is what happened to me. And when I started it up, I had tranny oil blowing out of the gasket onto the driveway. So I went and bought a filter from the dealer. Do not use the Napa filters!!!!!

The problem is that the tranny filter from Napa. The magnet covers up the holes a bit more than the stock filter. At least that is what happened to me. And when I started it up, I had tranny oil blowing out of the gasket onto the driveway. So I went and bought a filter from the dealer. Do not use the Napa filters!!!!!

I've had a few Allison OEM filters do that also. Just a defective filter is all.

You have to look at the outside holes, I've noticed on off brands they are drilled close together and the magnet covers them partially or entirely. When there is no Magnet its because a lot of people don't know there is one and they discard it w/ the filter. I do my own oil change so I know if I spill it where the smell is coming from, etc. I will never ever use anything other than Allison filters

I was going to go and buy a couple of Napa (Wix) spin on filters for the Allison, but after reading this, I think I will stick with the red Allison filters to stay on the safe side. My tranny runs about 135* - 145* on average. Thats mainly highway and country roads, some moderate off roading, and hauling about 800-1000 lbs of stuff in the truck. I think that's a nice temp range and I don't know if I would want to chance it by putting another filter on that would move that temp up. Like I said, I'll just stay on the safe side with the red Allison ones.

FWIW, I've just been ordering Allison filters from Eric about 4 at a time when I get down to the last 1. I think I've been paying about $12 each delivered. I could probably do better if I drove up to Coffman's in Aurora but ordering from Merchant is convenient...

Wonder if a guy could take out the magnet with the Alli filter and add an external filter (FilterMag) to the outside. Less restriction and still stop metal shavings. Just a thought, because I use the FilterMags on my oil filter and secondary fuel filter.

As far as driving 50 miles, when AC Delco discontinued the PF59 (long oil filter for my 6.0L Suburban) I called all the chevy dealerships in the area, I found one 1.5 hours away and he had two cases of the PF59 in stock. I asked if he would mail them to me and he sent them UPS at discount for a quantity buy. Maybe your Allison dealer would do the same for you.

JP

Group Discount

I go in w/ a friend and we buy in bulk and split the cost...I'll check but he gets the Allison and our fuel filters from the same place and they take care of us, the best thing is you don't have to pay the Stealership prices...

Al, all you had to do is ask. I know it's a little late now, haha but I always have a bunch at the shop. Hope all is well and you had a good holiday. -Mat-

Back