• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Speedometer Screwy

mojo0107

Workijng the Bugs out!
Reaction score
Speedometer Screwy

Ok, I was on the way home last night from a trip to winterize the boat. I got off the Parkway (had Cruise set at 73) Turned on the road to come home and it said I was doing 75 when I was only doing 55. I then stopped the truck and at standstill it dropped down and hung on 20. When I restarted the truck it bounced down to about 15, restarted it bounced down to 10, then to 5, and then finally 0. I then returned to the road to go home and It was jerking and acting funny, I checked with my Navigations System and it would be off from 2 mph all the way to 10 mph…This happened on my 04 Venture and then other gages started screwing up and crashing, $400 to put a new cluster in…I can’t afford to do that to the truck now…It’s Christmas. Someone help me out!!! Please.

I would try to see if GM would replace it as a "goodwill" gesture, since I would consider this to be a SAFETY related defect.

In the past, GM has warrantied speedometer clusters on other vehicle as a safety related defect.

It's worth a try. But please, do NOT make a big scene at the dealer; if you do make a big scene, they will dig their heels and push you away like the plague. Then it will be extremely difficult to get their help to fix it.

Been alot of clusters fail over the last few years. Hopefully you can get some help from your dealer. Good point about being nice to 'em Ray... You can bet it's gotta be pretty rough at any dealership with the general's financial shape about now.

Should be warrantied through 75K miles. That's what I was told when I took mine in at 78K miles. They wouldn't fix it.

There are some nice articles out there on replacing it yourself for cheap. I need to order a stepper motor and give it a try. Wish the stepper motors were a bit easier to find though.

Well they told me on the 05 I only had 3 years on it...What is the warranty on my truck!

you can fix your gauge cluster yourself for about 7 bucks each gauge. i fixed my oil pressure gauge when it went bad.

"04's have an extended warranty for the clusters. I don't think it included the '05's.
Options;
1)Buy a new one from the dealer=very expensive.
2)Buy a new one from a forum sponser=less expensive (Make sure they can program it (Mileage), or you wil have to pay the dealer to do it...)
3)Send yours out for repair=less expensive(That's what I did when mine failed before GM extended the warrenty) You can still drive the truck...just need a way to see how fast your going (GPS).
4)Go on e-bay, find the stepper motors and fix it yourself.=Best value.
5)Talk the dealer into a warranty replacement=Priceless

They are taking care of it under warranty!!! There is a lawsuit over this...If only they would have done it for the Venture.

mine just started acting up too! about 3 weeks ago, 73000 miles or so, headed to AL from MO, the needle started to fall slower and slower, then finally it stayed on zero. stopped for some grub and it fixed itself. worked fine for a couple weeks, then on the way back from St Louis to Ft Leonard Wood it did the same thing. got back to the house and it was fine the next morning. it has done it again twice this week. gotta get it to the dealer next week before I go on a road trip to DC. I got 75500 on it now and I don't want to run over my extended recall mileage limit of 80000!

Seems like I remember the recall said that prior to 70000 it was free, between 70000 and 80000 it was either free part and pay the laybor or the other way around, cant remember which it was. anybody know what its gonna cost?

They are taking care of it under warranty!!! There is a lawsuit over this...If only they would have done it for the Venture.

Yeah I got a letter in the mail about the lawsuit too. No problems with mine yet. I will do it myself if I do. I got 87k now.

went to the dealer at lunch, told them what was going on, they said no problem, bring it in the shop. they took down all the info with they computer gizmo and said they would call me when the new cluster comes in.
I couldn't believe it. no questions or him-hawing or anything, just "yup, these things are always going bad... we'll order you one..." :)

Back