• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Speed sensor comf

Stoney

Reaction score
I am suffering from some confusion here.16793465358441059681423.jpg

Unless I'm sadly mistaken this is my abs wheel speed sensor correct?? I just tried looking them up on RockAuto and they do not look anything like this.

Other 3 pics are of the caliper, inside brake pad, an the back of the rotor..
I took it apart to change the bearing because I thought that was what I occasionally heard grinding and causing a vibration.. and this is what I found..( still going to change the bearings since it's already apart )...but this has me confused. Where the inside of the caliper is scratched up I would think would mean the rotor was dragging against it. But the outer edge of the caliper looks fine..rusty ... But if think it would have tore up the rust if it was rubbing in the caliper..
The other strange thing is where you can see the grove in the pad. Obviously it match's the high spot around the inside of the rotor, but I can bang on the high spot ring on the rotor and it all chips off as you can see in the pic where parts are shinny and others are smooth rust where I banged it off there..

Yes there's a wire that comes out the back of it it appears that the whole ring is part of it. (The box part I'm pointing at and the ring that goes around the axel shaft all appear to be one piece.) The bearings looked like crap, I didn't realize that the dust cap had departed our company. So nasty NY stuff got in there..but there were not froze up by any means..

Yes there's a wire that comes out the back of it it appears that the whole ring is part of it. (The box part I'm pointing at and the ring that goes around the axel shaft all appear to be one piece.) The bearings looked like crap, I didn't realize that the dust cap had departed our company. So nasty NY stuff got in there..but there were not froze up by any means..
Just curious about how much play was in the bearings.
I would think to shine up the inside of the caliper like it did, something must have been terrible bad loose.
I never seen one with wear within the caliper like that.

that is the same ABS sensor that's on my rig. along with the toothed ring. if your gonna one day fix the ABS. leave it there, it's not gonna harm anything. as for the rust on the rotor, that built up and started to take the disc pad with it. I would take the rotors down to napa or a local auto parts house to have them re-surfaced along with a new set of pads.

the marking on the caliper came from the the rotor wobble in the bearings. if there isn't any shiny metal on the outer edge of the rotor and there isn't a grove cut into the caliper in that area you should be fine.

how thin are your rotors? maybe post a pic. if they turn out to be just slightly out of spec for them to be turned and you don't want to spend the extra to replace. get you a sanding flap disk with some sand paper and clean them up without taking any metal off.

@Stoney something else I noticed unless it's just my eyes looking at your pic. you are only getting maybe 75% of pad to rotor braking. and it looks like the outer pad is much thinner than the inner. this means your caliper is not sliding on the bolts. the bolts need to be pulled and cleaned out and well lubed with some silicone grease. I'm willing to bet that when you step on the brake the calipers are biting down, not sliding and causing them to bind and tweak a little. this will make the brakes not work as well as they should. I'm sure others can explain it better than I can.

Yes that is your ABS sensor and yes it is on rockauto WVE 5S13308. Listen to what Doug is telling you about the sliders on the calipers, if they're not moving relatively easily this could also be contributing to the drag you say you keep feeling

@dbrannon79 @ak diesel driver I'll pull the pins again and regrease them but what I don't get is I've had multiple sets of calipers on this truck since the problem started. I almost wonder if I should take a grinder to the slides the caliper sets between. Like maybe the calipers are catching on them and not fully releasing. I always use new slide bolts when I change the calipers.. the reason I originally named the post about the speed sensor is because when I pulled the rotor off I realized how bad the dust shield is rusted..and when I felt the inside surface of the sensor the side that faces the axel,bit felt like it had a slight groove in it. So I looked it up on RockAuto and in the process it gave me a listed of signs a abs wheel speed sensor is bad compared to if the speed sensor in the tranny is bad. And one of the symptoms it listed was brakes applying without touching the pedal.

Back