• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Speakin of winches

I'll start

I have a Warn 9500i that is being rebuilt...I am looking into gettin another 9500....the earlier 9500i(like mine) is notorious for not being very water resistant..therefore the brushes get corroded very quickly. BTW..it is on a cradle and is inserted into my 10,000 lb reese receiver in the front....in front of the brushguard

I've got a Ramsey 12000# worm worm gear drive on the front of mine. Have not got to use it yet, kinda looking forward to it though. Mine seems to be the real deal, see them on the back wreckers quite a bit.

I've got a Ramsey 12000# worm worm gear drive on the front of mine. Have not got to use it yet, kinda looking forward to it though. Mine seems to be the real deal, see them on the back wreckers quite a bit.

Yea..they ARE popular on those wreckers

Here's mine on the front. I don't have any pictures on the rear yet.

Attachments

• DSC0000b7.jpg
    DSC0000b7.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
I have milemarker, warn, bulldog, superwinch, and t-max winches...I mess with all of them constantly and to be 100% honest with you....I prefer T-max and Superwinch over anyone else.....the warn are good and last a long time, but they are way way way over priced.....I have broken numerous remotes on the milemarkers and they make me buy new ones....no warranty there, and bulldog's are the most inexpensive out there, they are the same as Atlas, Titan, and a bunch of other comapanies that are made in china by C&N Manufacturing...cheap product, cheap price, will work for guys who don't use a winch a lot.....

T-max 15k winch out pulled my 16.5Ti warn and was $600 les expensive....Superwinch 16.5 costs less than warn too!!! My 12k superwinch has kept up with the warns I have with no hiccup!!

Thats just my .02

I have milemarker, warn, bulldog, superwinch, and t-max winches...I mess with all of them constantly and to be 100% honest with you....I prefer T-max and Superwinch over anyone else.....the warn are good and last a long time, but they are way way way over priced.....I have broken numerous remotes on the milemarkers and they make me buy new ones....no warranty there, and bulldog's are the most inexpensive out there, they are the same as Atlas, Titan, and a bunch of other comapanies that are made in china by C&N Manufacturing...cheap product, cheap price, will work for guys who don't use a winch a lot.....

T-max 15k winch out pulled my 16.5Ti warn and was $600 les expensive....Superwinch 16.5 costs less than warn too!!! My 12k superwinch has kept up with the warns I have with no hiccup!!

Thats just my .02

Good info...the Warns ARE overpriced....the only one i can think of that you didn't mention was Ramsey...curious to know what you think of those..

Here's mine

Good info...the Warns ARE overpriced....the only one i can think of that you didn't mention was Ramsey...curious to know what you think of those..

Yeah, what do you think of Ramsey's?

Attachments

• Brians stuff Garrett School 116.jpg
    Brians stuff Garrett School 116.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Brians stuff Garrett School 045.jpg
    Brians stuff Garrett School 045.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Brians stuff Garrett School 046.jpg
    Brians stuff Garrett School 046.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
any idea if anyone makes the front reciever hitch for the new body style yet? I'd like to get a winch but don't want to permanently mount it

The best advice I can give you is this

If you use your winch everday...spend the money on a warn, a T-max, or a Superwinch...No matter what you buy stay away from hydraulic, and if you only use it on occasion, save your money but still buy one that reputable

with that said, Ramsey would be in the last catagory....

and if you bury your truck in mud and/or water and your engine dies you have no winch....if I am winching myself out, I want to make sure I can get out...electric will work underwater...hydraulic wont... as for being stronger...what your winch is rated at its rated at whether its electric or hydraulic....also when a hydraulic breaks its a lot more expensive to fix

Interesting, considering hydraulics are stronger, more line speed and more cable capacity...

Basically yea they are in some respects but there are reasons why I won't buy one...if you'd like to know what those reasons are I'll be glad to tell you:sifone:

and if you bury your truck in mud and/or water and your engine dies you have no winch....if I am winching myself out, I want to make sure I can get out...electric will work underwater...hydraulic wont... as for being stronger...what your winch is rated at its rated at whether its electric or hydraulic....also when a hydraulic breaks its a lot more expensive to fix

Exactly..you made my work easier...one more thing...I do not like the asethic(spelling) appeal

Hydraulics do have one major advantage: they can be used continuously, where as electric winches get hot and have to cool down. Other than that, all the advantages go to electric.

where did you hear that hydraulics wont work underwater? sorry but you've got that info backwards because its electrics that you can fry by trying to run them underwater.

electrics:
upsides:
can run with truck off
much faster line speed unloaded

downsides:
overheat easily, have to take breaks
drain battery's very quickly if the engine is off, lucky to get 2-3 minutes of pulling time
most wont work underwater

hydraulics
upsides:
dont need to cool down, no breaks required
ALWAYS work underwater (been offroading for the past 10 years and i've done this too many times to count with no issues)
pull faster than an electric WHEN LOADED

downsides:
power steering pump must be working
slow line speed when unloaded, nearly the same as when loaded

both types have their ups and downs, an electric is simpler to install expecially if you use a removeable setup. connect the wires and go. i prefer hydraulic, been around too many electrics that have overheated and taken way too long to pull somebody out because of that. if you go hydraulic, mile marker (their electrics arent very good but ok).

Back