• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

spare tire issue

john deere

john deere
Reaction score
ok so i just recently bought a 2004 gmc sierra. i tried to get the spare tire down, now the cable comes all the way down as does the spring thing but the tire comes down 2-3 inches and stops, now you can wiggle the tire and spin it but it wont go down more, there is a secondary latch i guess says the manual but i cant get it to unlacth for the life of me:mad2::mad2:

You have the "safety latch" activated. It is there in case the cable breaks. Keeps the spare put and out of the windshield behind you - I know you only care about loosing a good spare...

To unlock it you have to jack the tire back up by the cable or possibly a floor jack. The owner's manual may correct me on this.

yeah i tried my big floor jack on that bitch and nothing hapened other then i was lifting the truck up and the tire is still safety latched

We have had 2 of these on trucks at work that were frozen up so bad I had to cut them off and replace the whole hoist assy. Its a piss poor design for us up here in the rust belt, if you dont take the spare down and grease the secondary latch at least once a year it will seize up.

yeah i worked on trying to do the same thing in the video but no luck and yeah i agree with ya its one stuipid ass design cuz they load the streets here in milwaukee with tons of salt during winter

yeah i tried once again with no luck so, i had a lil fun with my milwaukee angle grinder and i got it off and now im just gonna leave it locked in my bed

Back