• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Source for 6.2/6.5 Diesel engine and swap suggestions

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
With the poor fuel economy of my recently purchased 90 k1500 gasser, I'm considering a diesel swap.

I'm a sucker for the good ole 6.2/6.5 Diesel engines and would love to swap one in my 5 speed truck. Should get great economy considering the truck is a standard cab short bed. The truck is already 5 speed and keeping the motor mechanical injection is the only way to go.

I'm already aware of teds take outs but have read on another thread here of another source for these 6.2s, I believe warwagon has mentioned them in the past but I have failed to find the details.

I'm considering a 6.5 but either way, I want a db2 pump on the engine. I will turbo the engine for some power boost. I will also go for an inline fuel pump.

I understand I'll need hydro boost. Will that bolt in place of the brake booster right in the same location on the firewall? Will I need the diesel power steering pump and all the front mounted accessories?

This will be a summer time swap so getting parts together now is my Intension. Would like to get a near complete motor, at least with injection pump in place so timing won't be needed. Not getting along with the gasser motor.

Please share any swap ideas or suggestions, would like to hear what others have to say. I hope I can make this a fun truck to drive. Thanks guys

We have an RCLB 88 4wd 700R4 TBI 350 that we converted to 2wd ( long story ) on 265-75-R16 tires that gets 18-19. Before I put a ladder rack and toolbox with tools on my 95 2wd 1500 6.5 turbo she was only getting 19 or so. The best I saw was 20.5. My NA 95 6.5 is only getting 21 or so. Seems like a lot of work for a little gain unless you go 6.2 NA. Never owned one but what from I have heard and read they got mid 20's and sometimes upper 20's. Should be a blast to drive in a short box with a stick. I would advise finding a whole truck as a donor. That way you get the hydroboost, all your accessories, the motor, and the wiring. We bought our 93 RCLB 6.2 Vin J C2500 for $1000 with a shot tranny.

I have heard of the propane conversion but if I'm going through a conversion, it's gonna be diesel. As some of you know I had a '96 6.5 K2500 and loved that truck. I'm really used to that engine and the ease of working on it.

I'm expecting high MPGs. I'm rockin 3.42 gears with a 5 speed and the truck is fairly light.

I went and looked at a 454ss a couple days ago. The thought of the spare 4l80E I will have laying around and propane shop down the road have me wondering if I can break 10mpg with it on propane lol.

454ss comes with a TH400 iirc and 4.10s. True muscle car set up. I have a buddy that got 8mpg highway which I think is insane for a RCSB truck, but it was so much fun! lol

What did you do with the 96 motor?

Source Unknown

Unfortunately, it went to scrap with what was left of the truck. I had no means of pulling it or storing it at the time. I have recently moved to where I now have access to garage and tractor with front end loader. This is the reason I want to get rolling on the swap now.

What is your budget??? :147:

I might have a 506 block for sale if you want a complete rebuild project, but it depends on how the inside looks when I pull it and whether I can in good conscience part it out.

I did two hydro boost swaps. For the Tahoe I had to modify the plate to get the rod alignment straight with the pedal pin. Also had to cut the firewall hole higher.

What is your budget??? :147:

I might have a 506 block for sale if you want a complete rebuild project, but it depends on how the inside looks when I pull it and whether I can in good conscience part it out.

Is that a 506 6.5 gm block? I'm looking for a motor ready to drop in with the ip already installed and ready to go

I did two hydro boost swaps. For the Tahoe I had to modify the plate to get the rod alignment straight with the pedal pin. Also had to cut the firewall hole higher.

Any pics of modifying of the firewall? Was it extensive or just some minor massaging?

I was able to do it with a die grinder,maybe a 1/4 inch. The booster was from a little older truck than the Tahoe. I could have bolted it right on, but the rod would have been on an angle. Maybe the pedal pin height is different ? I put an 86 dually hydro boost on my 97 truck,only had to modify the rod and drill two mounting holes for that one.

Is that a 506 6.5 gm block? I'm looking for a motor ready to drop in with the ip already installed and ready to go

There was a fair amount of sarcasm in the offer, but yes a GM 506. 10K miles ago, it appeared like a replacement as the mechanic felt it had way less wear than the 150K on the odometer; but that was 10K miles ago. Seeing as the goal is a drop-in, it will *definitely* not meet the requirement as I need the externals and am betting that the internals are complete toast.

So, back to the budget question . . . ;) I am about to pull the trigger on a new long block, and perhaps we can try to get a 'two-fer' purchase incentive :)

There was a fair amount of sarcasm in the offer, but yes a GM 506. 10K miles ago, it appeared like a replacement as the mechanic felt it had way less wear than the 150K on the odometer; but that was 10K miles ago. Seeing as the goal is a drop-in, it will *definitely* not meet the requirement as I need the externals and am betting that the internals are complete toast.

So, back to the budget question . . . ;) I am about to pull the trigger on a new long block, and perhaps we can try to get a 'two-fer' purchase incentive :)

Lol, I wasn't interested anyway. I don't want to spend more than $1000 for a motor. So far a teds seems like a decent deal, $1300 with ip but no exhaust manifolds.

My favorite place keeps going up in price. (boyce equipment) They started at $900 and now are at $1500 for the 6.2's. I would re-ring any engine before dropping it in - but no complaints about their engines. 3 years and 50+K on each of them.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!engines/c18ta

I noticed their price went up since I first visited that site. I've been Scanning Craigslist lately for a 6.2 or 6.5 but mostly been concentrating on the exhaust manifolds and turbo setup

Back