• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Something new?

Farmer direct is the new consumer strategy.
Farmers market here in the city park every evening.
In the news paper there most usually is a rancher selling beef cows. Some even selling halves and quarters. I think they wait until there is two, three or four wanting beef then haul the cow to butcher, processed and picked up. But the rancher gets his money right up front afore the critter is hauled in.
My ex BIL spent his entire life after high school as a meat cutter. He retired from that job and has started his own meat carving service.
He just rcently purchased an enclosed trailer and installed a center track in it.
He now can go to a farmer/ranchers place, park the truck/trailer, kill, slaughter, hang and transport the critter back to his shop to be processed. He now is busier than a one legged man in a @s kickin contest. 😹😹😹😹

Thats how my Sister in Idaho is doing. She said they do 1/2 or whole cow at $3 lbs, $4 wrapped. Getting the butcher done time is the issue. They don’t have their own aging refer currently. Gotta do those 10 days at 45° Before dropping to freezing or going onto the grille.
Wanna guess where I am going in September? Haha.
I really need another deep freezer. Man, those prices went sky high too.
I think she said full pig is around 300-400 currently.

It’s really amazing that there is now only 3 mega meat processor plants- the rancher/farmer gets paid so low and the super market price is so high. Its kinda like the 3 monster processing plants all decided to ramp up their prices and not compete pricing anymore.
Next thing you know- Poof! Prices are what they are.

Watch and see- you will have more and more Farmer/ rancher direct until the big corporations start leaning on gubmint to not let it happen.

Remember all those laws passed recently about people not allowed to grow their own stuff in residential areas? Long term plans for something ugly imo.

The same guy who I worked for that did plastic to fuel also did algae fuel. He is still doing a 15 year study with it. There are many others doing it too.
The 2 biggest problems are:
1. Like corn it is water based and the damaging issues are still present that all bio fuel has with bugs.
2. The land space required for it is too much. Basically you need to have shelves built because it’s like growing grass. To do it realistically on large scale would take massive growing fields.

Everything has a percentage of conversion from its mass into useable fuel. Plastic is from crude so it is 1:1 so 1pound of plastic becomes 1 pound if fuel. But 10% becomes non compressible, 10% becomes paraffin, 10% becomes Liquid fuels/oils out of the fuel range of gasoline, diesel or kerosene. So you would see it has a 70% conversion rate to fuel.

In a lab setting algae does better with a 75% rate, so you will read that. But in a lab setting we can get 0% of plastic into useable fuel.
Scaling up to large production never gets anywhere near lab testing.

It is a feasible idea for places that have tons of unused land and gobs more water than they know what to do with. There is a push to figure out fuel from salt water-obvious reasons.

but the co2 output from algae is still as high as any other bio fuel, with the percentage yield low and btu per pound of any bio fuel is always lower than normal hydrocarbon fuel supplies.

Honestly it would be far easier for us to get on the hydrogen band wagon than algae.

You could rush them along a little. Get a couple or three friends that wants beef, or pork, go pay them a visit with some pay. 😹😹😹
Have to find a processing plant that has the facilities to do tje slaughter, get rid of the guts n stuff. Keep the hide. Might need some mockey socks or some boots. A good heavy leather coat ?
Getting a half beef butchered this week.

The reason they're looking at getting into the selling of their own meat is the difficulty in getting butcher dates at the locker plants.
We don't have the facilities for warm weather butchering and we are all getting older and no longer up to the task.
They had to take several head to the sale barn for lack of being able to get a butcher date

Exactly. That is happening everywhere. Sister said on different ranching forums there was a bunch bought out and just not in use. I told her keep an eye out for an old refer semi trailer.
Around here they close on retirement. Most of the locker plants are older and it's hard for the current owners to keep up with the regulations.
The regulations are always aimed at shutting down small business.
If you can't afford a full time person dedicated to paperwork, you about can't afford to be in any business these days.

It's the reason our local banks had to consolidate

Yup. You guys better go start kicking the podium at your town hall meetings.
If you threaten their jobs- they back off on the bs to small businesses. Otherwise you will get scr...... you will be in the same situation as people in big cities where Walmart is your only option.

Yup. You guys better go start kicking the podium at your town hall meetings.
If you threaten their jobs- they back off on the bs to small businesses. Otherwise you will get scr...... you will be in the same situation as people in big cities where Walmart is your only option.
Most of the strangulating regulations are federal.

Back