• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Something "Let's Go" When You Release The Brakes

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
I have this Problem in my Jeep.

Whenever I come to a Stop and get on the Brakes a lil more than "Regular", when I let go of the Brakes to Move Forward, it's like something let's Loose, you Feel a lil Thud in the Truck and the Sound of something letting go, then everything is fine.

I had the Dealer Look at it, and they couldn't Find anything.

This has got to be a "Universal Problem" because I have been in other Vehicles where this has happened. So it's gotta be 1 Main thing that is Loose or Bad that Causes it.

Sometimes there is too much clearance where the caliper fits into the steering knuckle and they snap back at the moment of unload. Could be a broken anti rattle clip. In the case of drums, there could be a binding issue where it takes a bit for the spring to pull the shoes back in so it's sudden instead of a steady pull in on the cyl pins. Could be a sticking wheel cyl or caliper. Most likely it's a binding shoe. I've seen that more often than the others. Anywhere the hardware rubs against the backing plate needs a dab of white lube.

It's almost as if when you get On and Hold the Brakes, it "Holds" whatever is Loose towards the Rear of the Vehicle. Then when you let Off the Brakes, it "Let's Go" and Moves back Forward.

It's weird to Explain, but if you were in the Vehicle when it Happens, you'd know exactly what I'm Talking about.

Yea. When I come to a Stop, the Brakes "Hold" whatever is Loose, then as soon as I Let Go of the Brakes, whatever is "Loose" comes "Unbound". You can Hear it and Feel it.

But if I Drive down the Road, Rock the Truck Back & Fourth, get on the Brakes but stay Rolling, it doesn't do it. Only when coming Out of a Complete Stop.

I'm still leaning towards the rear drum brakes James. It DOES have rear drums on it right?

it could in theory be a ton of things. think about what moves where when accelerating or braking. suspension moves, drivetrian, braking systems, steering, cripe the frame even moves. if it moves when in motion it is moving when when applying the brakes then it abruptly stops and stays in place until you untwist it. unless its really bad i would disregard it at normal.

My bet is it's the slip yolk + the play in the rear diff. If you come to a stop too hard things will essentially have more pressure on them and you'll sorta build up a pre load on the spring, etc. When you left off the brake they all come back to neutral or to the other extreme if your accelerating.

It's like if you give it a little gas while holding the brake... the suspension sorta loads up. I can do it on my truck no problem and it makes the clunk that much more noticeable.

Back