• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Some sites are better then others!!!!!!!!!

1twisted1

Reaction score
Well I guest it does not take long to find out where the yahoos hang out. So glad NVW answer one of my post's with a link over to this site. The OTHER site is useless posted this same question over there at 10:30pm and have had 30 views and not one answer.:mad2: So for you guys sorry.

OK so I'm picking up the 87 6.2 with 50,000 on it, this Sunday!! Its a good 3 hr drive from me! It's West of Grand Rapids!! Anyway now that the motor has been decided on. I've also been in contacted with Slim (here on the form) about the A-team turbo, will be getting him on the phone tomorrow hopefully to get more info on it. I'm also eying a banks sidewinder system that's up for sale. That being said what are the must do mods for the 6.2 before i get it in the truck????

Could you please give me a link to them or explain each one for me. Have looked back though the 10 pages on here I don't see any in detail!! Have also done a search for MODS and nothing!!
So from what I gather If your new to the Diesel world as I am, and don't know the mod even exists let alone what it's called your screwed.. So that's why I'm asking for the must do Mods and hopefully this become a STICKY for all the lost Newbies out there like me!!!!:feedback::rant:

Thanx for looking

shaun

Aside from making sure the little beast is in good mechanical shape the addition of a turbo is the real deal.

A monster exhaust 3-1/2 or Bigger will let the little creature breathe real good.

If the engine is used, I might consider a fresh set of head gaskets before I got real hot on stuffing the turbo on.

With the addition of a turbo the IP (Injection pump) needs to have the fuel rate turned up some.

Banks has the install manuals available on their site in PDF form at and you can download them.
They explain the whole process of turning up the fuel.

Be sure your radiator is clean and that the fan clutch is working right. Along with more Horses comes more heat.

If you are into the engine, the rocker arm retainer buttons should be replaced (Plastic)
When doing head gaskets the head bolts must be replaced as they are a one time use item.

Other than this its pretty much giddy Up Go.

You can do port matching and pollishing and all other mods such as ballancing just as you would on a GM gasser.

A ballance job is a great thing if the engine is apart.

As far as performance mods, the turbo and exhaust are about the extent of it for the 6.2

You could add the High cap water pump off a 6.5 along with the serp drive and then add the dual Tstat water crossover. (requires a little rework of the throttle cable bracket)

The serp drive and High cap water pump are a 6.5 item only and if you use the High cap pump you must use it with a serp drive as it is designed for opposite rotation from the normal 6.2 pump. Also with the High cap the dual stat crossover must be used

A gear drive for the cam is a nice addition and can be had from some of the supporting vendors.

Just what I can think of off hand

MGW

thanx for the info

That's all I wanted to know wasn't that hard was it??? 43 views on other site and still Not one reply??

Also the motor I'm buying is out of a van will this make the swap easier or harder???

will a gasser's serp set up fit on a diesel???

One last thing What fuel PSI is need at the IP on these motors???

Last edited:
Spoke with Twisted1 today and will give him the low down on what is need to make his little 6.2 last, cause I got one now that is running at 6.3 liters,:D. There are some oil line mods needed on the motor and the oil line to feed the turbo both are easy mods. The early 6.2 oil galleys at the oil filter mounting base need to be enlarged from 3/8 to the 6.5 dimension which I think is 5/8 if memory serves me right. And a couple of other small things like oil pan, one piece rear main and two piece use different oil pans.

Welcome.I replied on your fuel pump question over there. 93 6.5 lift pump.Part numbers:Airtex E3158
AC Delco EP158
GM 25115224
Carter P74001
You will need donor fuel lines for oddball fittings on pump. Inline filter on efi gasser may be the same.
I would put arp head studs in and new fel-pro head gaskets.

Yes I know thanx. Have pretty much given up on that site. Will be posted the build up pics with details on the mods over here.

But again Thank-You for you info it was very useful.

I spoke with 1twisted1 yesterday and we talked for quite awhile, good guy:thumbsup:, going to help him with the needed mods.

Penninsular diesel used to offer a v belt high flow water pump also. I would also consider arp head studs as a better option than the factory head bolts.

Back