• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Solution for idle surge

valleyman

Reaction score
I know this is an old topic but I have not seen any solution to this problem that really works. Have tried all the tricks and different additives to no avail, it still surges. Dealer service writer has an '05 lly like mine and he has changed all kinds of parts also to no avail for a sure fix. His diesel tech, with 10 years experience, told me that there is no fix from GM or Chev. that he has seen or heard of. Some do and some don't surge, milleage doesn't seem to have any thing to do with it either.

Please help it is driving me crazy....

Hey Valleyman. I grew up not too far from you, in Hebbronville and Kingsville.

It takes a reflash to address the low speed surge. If your truck has been reflashed with the current software and surges only at idle then it is likely the fuel pressure regulator.

Thanks for all the replies. Where do I get the computer reflashed? I have an Edge with Attitude and it does not make a difference where I set the Attitude. If I get it reflashed will that negate the Edge module. I have also disconnected the Edge and That makes no difference either.

You don't want to use tuning to band aid something. I would start at the FPR if the dealer flash doesn't fix it.

As far as reflashing, make sure you have the edge completely disconnected from the harness.

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket FPR's the service writer at my dealership has replaced three on his lly. He said it will stop for awhile and then the problem returns. It is very expensive to replace it with no guarantees for a permanent fix.

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket FPR's the service writer at my dealership has replaced three on his lly. He said it will stop for awhile and then the problem returns. It is very expensive to replace it with no guarantees for a permanent fix.

What kind of mod's are done to the truck?

I know Wicked Diesel makes "Modded Regulators" to help with the CP3 flow, but if your basically stock I don't see much need, I you'll need EFILive to tune it I believe also.

Basicly stock, K&N cold air package, 4" exh, and Edge module. Also I have tried all the standard fixes with additives [ATF, 2cycle oil, and a multitude of the additives.

Just for the hell of it, why not put the stock air filter back on. Give your MAF a cleaning at the same time. Oiled K&Ns have been known to cause some problems. At least you can rule that out for free.

Ok I'll try it but this problem started long after the K&N was installed. Have cleaned it and reoiled it three times using the K&N cleaner and oil. [used very sparingly just until it changed color no more. Oh, yes am thinking about installing the LBZ mouth piece or just modifing the one I have what do you guys think?? Don't think it will have any effect on my surge problems but more air never hurt.

thanks again for all the info and suggestions will be back after I change the stock air cleaner and give you guys an update. Hope it is a good report. LOL

By the way has anyone gotten the AFE turbo mouthpiece and is it a true bolt on with no modification to cold air intake? That what is advertised and I found one for $186. The best price from that that I have found is about $225.00 + free shipping and no sales tax. All opinions welcome.

By the way has anyone gotten the AFE turbo mouthpiece and is it a true bolt on with no modification to cold air intake? That what is advertised and I found one for $186. The best price from that that I have found is about $225.00 + free shipping and no sales tax. All opinions welcome.

Well I have gotten the AFE mp and installed it along with converting back to the stock air cleaner. No change in the idle surging problem, still surges, BUT WOW what difference in the "power" and response. Also it looks like I might gain about 1 mile per gallon. Still using the additives but the idle surge still there. Anybody have any other ideas? Hate to spend the dollars on a guess to replace the FPR [very expensive] no guarantees that it will fix the problem.

There was a reflash to address idle surge on LLYs back in late '05 and early '06. The dealer might be willing to do that for you cheap or free especially because it's a "safety" issue. As long as you are in stock tune that is, with no sign of a tuner having been used. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably the FPR. As many miles as you have, I'd be prepared to replace the FPR.

There was a reflash to address idle surge on LLYs back in late '05 and early '06. The dealer might be willing to do that for you cheap or free especially because it's a "safety" issue. As long as you are in stock tune that is, with no sign of a tuner having been used. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably the FPR. As many miles as you have, I'd be prepared to replace the FPR.

Thanks for the response. Will talk to my dealer and see about reflashing my ECM. May just have to bite the bullet and replace the FPR. The only problem I have with that is no one yet has said that they had this problem and when they replaced the FPR it fixed the problem. Many talk about it but no one claims it is "The" fix for the idle surge. Don't understand why someone hasn't found the problem yet.

Back