• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So, why aint you people using Firefox?

okay got it. will try it for a while. is there a way to have book marks but not have them stay in the address bar all the time. thats freekin anoying.

okay got it. will try it for a while. is there a way to have book marks but not have them stay in the address bar all the time. thats freekin anoying.

Completely disable the autocomplete list

If you would rather not have Firefox display autocomplete results at all:

1. In the Location bar, type about:config, and press EnterReturn.
* The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
2. Search for the preference browser.urlbar.maxRichResults.
3. Double-click the browser.urlbar.maxRichResults preference and enter a value of -1.
4. From the menu at the top of the Firefox windowbar, select FileFirefox and then select the ExitQuit FirefoxQuit menu item.
5. Restart Firefox again.

Now when you type in the Location bar, no list of results will be shown.

To re-enable the autocomplete list, follow the steps above, but set the value to 10 (which is the default value).

Tim

I was under the impression that firefox didn't work with some websites so you still needed IE. Any truth to that??

I tried downloading firefox once and it wouldn't work. My guess was a downloading glitch, but at any rate I gave up.

OK, I'm going to go all geek on you, here.

Firefox follows to the letter the web page rendering protocols and standards as set by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). IE does NOT follow the standards to the letter.

There are some web pages written by webmasters to specifically take advantage of functions in IE which are not W3C standard. It is those pages that sometimes may not render correctly in Firefox. I have never found a page that would not work, but sometimes I get some funky word wrapping. The only page that I have ever found does NOT work with Firefox is Window Update.

I know this stuff because I have been using Firefox (and the Mozilla browser before that) for over 5 years and as someone stated, that add ons that are available are awesome

I don't use FireF*#$ because it SUCKS @$@#$@#%. I USED to use it, but it started taking over my system, using up all available memory and pegging my CPU @ 100% for hours. SUPPOSEDLY, the problem has been fixed, but I will NEVER EVER use it again, and I ALWAYS recommend that people stay away from it. In reality, it's no safer than IE, and for me, IE7 has the ONLY feature I liked about FireF*#$: Tabbed Browsing.

And once you add in all the "Awesome" addins, it looses it's supposed safety, and from a safety/security perspective, you might as well use IE anyway.

I don't use FireF*#$ because it SUCKS @$@#$@#%. I USED to use it, but it started taking over my system, using up all available memory and pegging my CPU @ 100% for hours. SUPPOSEDLY, the problem has been fixed, but I will NEVER EVER use it again, and I ALWAYS recommend that people stay away from it. In reality, it's no safer than IE, and for me, IE7 has the ONLY feature I liked about FireF*#$: Tabbed Browsing.

And once you add in all the "Awesome" addins, it looses it's supposed safety, and from a safety/security perspective, you might as well use IE anyway.

FireFox, Mozilla, and Netscape all did that. I was a diehard Netscape user until they upgraded to a certain version that would lock up your whole system. I stopped using it because it took for ever to fix that problem. I am not sure if they did I have not gone back. I down loaded Safari for PC and now I have Safari for mac....

Been using FF for a couple years. Never had a problem with it. Thunderbird did lock up my system and make it slower, so that I got rid of. FF seems to load pages a lot faster than IE, plus I read about some tweaks to do that made it even faster. Don't remember what I changed or where I got the info though. But it was using that about:config in the address bar that cowracer mentioned.

Not sure if these were all of them, but these were some things that were changed.

network.http.max-connections;48
network.http.max-connections-per-server;16
network.http.pipelining;true
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests;30

Never tried anything but IE. Anyone going to try the new one from Google called Chrome? I have no issues with my system now and am a bit scared of the unknown. Great info on this thread though.

Chrome is still a beta release. Personally, I would not try it on a "mission critical" box until final release version comes out

Back