• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So Whats Better To Keep???

tireguy

Reaction score
Hey guys i just bought a 04 gmc 2500hd 6.6 liter diesel.
218000 miles
$4500.00
needs injectors
not a creme puff and not horrible either
it was owned by a local farmer, and i have done a lot of service work on it
the alison was rebuilt 35000 ago and the trasfer case was a new gm unit at that time also.
The problem is having a lot of money in my 6.5 around $10,500:eek:.
my 6.5 is a low mile creempuff if there ever was one. interier is like the day it left the showroom and the out side isnt very far from it. i like the duramax but dont like the miles it has:nonod:

ya im fixing to go on vacation in 2 weeks im thinkin on taken it will have to see how soon my parts come

2004 so thats the LB7 then. Unless its the 2004.5 witch would be the LLY.... but they dont have injector problems like the LB7s. If i were you i would replace the injectors in the duramax yourself it will probley cost around $2000 and add a seconday 2 micron fule filter it will keep them good for a long time...... keep the 6.5 for a back up truck is what i would do. you never get back what you put into it. trust me you will want it when the head gasket goes on the duramax!

Old's 6.5's are black holes for parts. However you have it with new and low mile running gear. 200K is the expected crack lifetime of the lower end and head gaskets on the 6.5. 200K on the Duramax means nothing like it does to the 6.5. Truck itself is gonna wear before the engine with either one.

The 200K mark on the Duramax means fuel injection problems including the fuel rail pressure regulator. Maybe a PIA water pump. Possibly some front end parts. You should not have had a transmission failure, but, you have a low mile unit that is second to nothing! It is better the the 4L80E.

My old broker had Dmax trucks 04-07 with 300K on them and every mile had a 24' trailer on them. Fuel injection, fuel filter base units, water pumps, egr, headlamps lots of headlamp bulbs, and that was it. Stop and go to deliver parts and freeway between towns. 500+ miles a day.

The Duramax will get better MPG pulling your trailer and have a higher top speed on hills. It has higher ratings, newer parts, and more power. Age kills parts as much as miles.

I would use the 6.5 as a DD show truck etc. and the Duramax for towing.

I agree with the advice above for a better add on fuel filter - they give you longer injector life.

Thanks for the advice guys! As for the injectors i will be doing them myself as i have a mechanic shop. the interior needs a couple of things like reupolstered drivers seat. and center console lid is broke there are huge amounts of dirt in it but i spent last night vacuming on it and it came out better than expected, ill now take my carpet shampooer to it with pro-grade chemicals and i think it will come out pretty good.

Congratulation on the new addition!!!!

What leads you to believe that the Dmax needs injectors?

Congrats on the new DMax. Just so you know, the std GM (Parker/Racor) fuel filter has been 2 micron for a couple of years. Never hurts to have a secondary but just thought I'd clear that info up.

gray/black smoke if u drive it at all
a knock that stops if u are driveing and let off to come to a stop, (hat short time in there when the injectors have no load) the knock stops
fuel in oil
they were replaced at 105000 and now it has 218000a hired hand that drove it some says that a couple were replaced in between those mileages. What do u make of that?

anyone interested in my 1996 K1500 if u are u could pm me. i PROMISE its a very very slick truck i could probly get some pics if anyones interested.

2004 so thats the LB7 then. Unless its the 2004.5 witch would be the LLY.... but they dont have injector problems like the LB7s. If i were you i would replace the injectors in the duramax yourself it will probley cost around $2000 and add a seconday 2 micron fule filter it will keep them good for a long time...... keep the 6.5 for a back up truck is what i would do. you never get back what you put into it. trust me you will want it when the head gasket goes on the duramax!

04's weren't prone to head gasket failure...actually it was early 01's...GM had a different torque spec in the beginning for the head bolts...

Interesting I always thought the whole LB7 gen was prone to head gasket problems from all the early failures I read at DP and the LLY was better but not completly fixed. I know GM has an up dated head gasket for the LLY now..... That with head studs fixes the problem for good...... Also how long have the injectors been bad for? The 2001 we tore down had one bad injector and it knocked a hole in the pistion.... I got pics if anyones Interested

Interesting I always thought the whole LB7 gen was prone to head gasket problems from all the early failures I read at DP and the LLY was better but not completly fixed. I know GM has an up dated head gasket for the LLY now..... That with head studs fixes the problem for good...... Also how long have the injectors been bad for? The 2001 we tore down had one bad injector and it knocked a hole in the pistion.... I got pics if anyones Interested

We had to do head gaskets in our 01 LB7.....but our 03' has 300K on the clock with no problems other than injectors. 05 LLY has had none of the above problems but alot lower miles too. IMO the LB7 was the best version of the Duramax. We have all three, and I will say I am very happy with the fuel economy and power of the earlier models.

Congrats on the find! 4500 sounds like a great price.If keeping the 6.5 is financially doable, I would hold onto it as well

well i probably will have to keep the 6.5 as i dont want to sell it at a loss, which means i need 10,500 out of it. it is almost show quality tho and has all the upgrades needed on a 6.5 with most of them being heath diesels.

P1010633.jpg

Here is what you get from running a bad injector for extended periods of time on a duramax.

Back