• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So my throwout bearing failed today.....

No the Luk i picked up was defective. Cracked disc on the edge. Returned it defective.

Ordered a ~$180 RhinoPac kit # 04-087 which is 6.2 specific(unlike the autozone one i had which was gasser/diesel). First kit, cracked disc on the edge. Was able to lift a roughly quarter sized piece of clutch material off with my finger nail in the crack. :pissed:

Second RhinoPac, same issue, same part #04-087, but not as bad. Cracked is cracked, and i won't run a damaged disc. :prrr:

Third RhinoPac, different part # 04-122, no disc cracks when it showed up. :)

I did manage to put a small mark in the very edge of the clutch material with one of the pressure plate lockwashers during install though. :suicide:. It doesn't look to have cracked from what i can see.

UPS sucks. The parts were fine when they left and damaged/broken when they arrived. I just thank the folks that own/run the store that they were willing to work with me. That's exactly why i go back time and time again.

Where-ever you buy from, double check everything over either at the counter or the second it shows up at your door. For something like a clutch, i'd rather buy over the counter. That way if it's defective you can show the parts guy and they can't say "well you did that when you handled it/installed it" like an internet retailer has the option of doing.

Just be careful if you go RhinoPac. The clutch is a 12" clutch, not 11 3/4 or 11 7/8 like most. That little extra gets the disc very close to the pressure plate mounting bolts. In fact there was a bulletin in the box that said to be careful that you don't hold the disc to the flywheel with the bolts since the clearance was so tight.

Also make sure the release bearing is correctly installed(this goes for any brand). Im not sure if this goes for the NV4500 as well, but in the SM465 clutch fork there's a little spring clip where the TO bearing attaches. The spring clip must be under the lip of the TO bearing. Over it will cause hard pedal and release issues.

Here's the bulletin from LUK.

http://bulletins.schaeffler-aftermarket.us/displayTB.phtml?number=LB179

Still haven't gotten my damn trans back in. I've been working on the turbo swap in my spare time. Can't really put the trans in myself. well correction, i could, but i'm not risking the bitch falling on me and crushing me. I'll wait until i can get a second set of hands for a day.
Hell, I put my motor in by myself and I'm a worn out old man....:D

Trans is back in as of 2 days ago. Just have to lift the t-case back in place and bolt it on.

First it was the autozone reman master cylinders. I went through 2 in less than 6,000 miles. First failed completely for the rear brakes out of no where. Piston seal must've blown. The second failed around the rear seal so it leaked fluid all over.

Third times a charm? **** that, i got my money back and bought a brand new Wagner master cyl from somewhere else.

Why the f*ck would you ever buy reman brake parts, IE master cylinders? Seriously????? That's like playing Russian Roullette with a fully loaded gun, :mad5: Rant off.

Anyhow, LUK are fine, I use those all the time, Fenco's meh, Sach's are up there too. Good luck with your new clutch.

Tough luck i guess.
Actually you should blame GM for disigning the clutch setup so that the throw out brg is in constant rolling contact with the clutch fingers.
It would be way better if there would be clearance there with the pedal up.

All hydraulic clutch's have the TO bearing in light contact with the fingers.

Hydraulic clutches IMHO are garbage. Give a zbar any day.

Hahhhaha, yes and no. I just had to replace a customers bar setup on his 80 F250, everything was worn out, couldn't get most of the parts, but he is so much happier with the hydraulic setup.

Back