• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So I Bought a 5th wheel Yesterday

Great White, that is a nice camper you have. Is that a 32 or 34 footer? I could get the wife to camp in one of those. One of these days I am going to pull the trigger on one. That is the main reason I bought my 2500HD, I knew in the future I would be buying a decent sized camper.

Sorry, missed your question.

It's an 831RLBSS.

31 foot box.

34 feet bumper to hitch.

We bought it as a compromise between the wife and I. I'm not much of a "camper" and she likes to hike with the dogs. The camper has all the comforts of home (for me), gives great views when parked through the Atrium slide windows and allows her to try out different trails (for her).

It also makes traveling with dogs much nicer. Park it and you've got your own bathroom, sheets, kitchen, etc and you don't have to take smoking rooms in hotels or be told "your dogs are too big" or "no dogs allowed".....

Well went and picked up the RV last night, Brutus pulled it well and the 5th wheel tows great, now the bad news the freshwater tank FELL OUT FROM UNDER IT!! on the way home Im not kidding, so I cut everything loose, and stuffed the tank and assorted other part and drove 45 miles back to Tom Johnsons this morning I was waiting there when they came into work at 7:30 they assured me It will be top priority and are getting a new tank overnighted, So that pretty much ended my Camping Trip for this weekend. There were a couple pretty good grades I go up on the way home and I was able to accelerate up them, Temps were good EGT never hit 900f around 12 pounds boost at close to wot, cruising at 65 3-4lbs of boost, so I am very happy with the truck

:eek:

I sure hope it was at least a used trailer and not a new one!

Not a good start if it's a new one......

Those tanks are usually held in place with metal straps. It could have been just a metal strap that broke or came loose. But it should not have happened. They should pay for your fuel loss and your troubles as well.

Those tanks are usually held in place with metal straps. It could have been just a metal strap that broke or came loose. But it should not have happened. They should pay for your fuel loss and your troubles as well.

The tanks on this one have a lip on both of the long ends at the top of the tank and rest on steel braces that run across the width, the tanks drop in from the top, some of the first things installed at the factory, From what I could tell in the dark with a flashlight, It looked to me like the tank had been replaced by the previous owner, and instead of cutting one of the braces putting the new tank in then welding the brace back in, they just used prybars to bend the brace and force the tank up in place. I told the service manager thats that the only thing that was acceptable to me was to cut the brace fit the tank then weld the brace back in, he said that is how they will do it

Me being Captain Obvious again. Why in heck did the PO need to change a water tank on a camper that young? And did the PO do it? Did it have a PO? Not unusual to have a 09 sitting on a dealers lot unsold these days. Its just as likely the original dealer did it and was that the guys you are dealing with? If so hummmm.... I would look up the name of the original owner and have a chat with them. You need to do a little detective work to CYA IMHO.

Me being Captain Obvious again. Why in heck did the PO need to change a water tank on a camper that young? And did the PO do it? Did it have a PO? Not unusual to have a 09 sitting on a dealers lot unsold these days. Its just as likely the original dealer did it and was that the guys you are dealing with? If so hummmm.... I would look up the name of the original owner and have a chat with them. You need to do a little detective work to CYA IMHO.

Pre installation failure, leaking, cracked, broken fittings, fixed/changed the water level sensor, freezing, mold, etc, etc......

Many reasons to change a water tank.

Pre installation failure, leaking, cracked, broken fittings, fixed/changed the water level sensor, freezing, mold, etc, etc......

Many reasons to change a water tank.

alot of rver's Never even know they have a tank, they just pull up to the campground and hook up their hose, there is a check valve in the system so the 2 water systems operate independant of each other, as GW said there are a number of reasons to change it, and I would say the change was done at a RV facility, there really aren't too many people in the general population that are capible of changing a light bulb, much less tackle the projects we do here on TTS

Well went and picked up the RV last night, Brutus pulled it well and the 5th wheel tows great, now the bad news the freshwater tank FELL OUT FROM UNDER IT!! on the way home Im not kidding, so I cut everything loose, and stuffed the tank and assorted other part and drove 45 miles back to Tom Johnsons this morning I was waiting there when they came into work at 7:30 they assured me It will be top priority and are getting a new tank overnighted, So that pretty much ended my Camping Trip for this weekend. There were a couple pretty good grades I go up on the way home and I was able to accelerate up them, Temps were good EGT never hit 900f around 12 pounds boost at close to wot, cruising at 65 3-4lbs of boost, so I am very happy with the truck

Oh no....:eek: not good at all. Could have been big on the highway. Hope Ol Tom gets you fixed up.

Yea if that tank had come out on the highway it might have been bad. I had a AC shroud come off in FL years ago as I was running down 95. It popped off and bounced off a brand new Mustang. The B-aitch driving it cussed me out while her ball less boy friend / fiancee stood by looking embarrassed by her behavior. It barely made a mark on the car, I walked over and wiped off the white oxidation from the shroud with my hand. They guy finally stepped up and started talking her down. Seems funny now, at the time I was not sure if she was going to take a swing at me or not. We were on our way to Disney BTW :)

It's just good that it happened now,....Timing wise.

Because you know that if it happened later on, during the trip or on the highway or even in the street and some "retard" drives right into it.....This would have been a whole other story.

Things could have been worse.

Well I went and picked the 5th wheel up from Tom Johnsons this afternoon, they did a good job on it, from the factory the spacing on the rails the tank sat on were 1 1/2 inches too far apart and there was only about 1/4 inch of the tank flanges supported, The previous owner never filled the tank and just used hook ups at Campgrounds, I had them fill the tank and the weight pulled it down, Brutus does well pulling it

Wow a stand up RV dealer. Be sure to post their location on here. The dealers have to fix factory screw ups all the time. Quality control is spotty in all but the high end stuff. I have a Winnebago story or two. Glad that worked out and you were not in a hurry to go any where.
Where you going first? Disney World? :hihi:

Well I went and picked the 5th wheel up from Tom Johnsons this afternoon, they did a good job on it, from the factory the spacing on the rails the tank sat on were 1 1/2 inches too far apart and there was only about 1/4 inch of the tank flanges supported, The previous owner never filled the tank and just used hook ups at Campgrounds, I had them fill the tank and the weight pulled it down, Brutus does well pulling it

Glad Tom got you fixed up. If you ever go west up I40, Black Mountain will be a good pull for Brutus.

On our 2008 sidetrak, I went to do some modifications and found a pair of pliers, screwdriver, screws, lighter and a 1/2 pack of smokes. They were in an area that had been closed up to hide the cabling for the slideout. I also had to redo some of the plumbing hose since whomever did it at the factory seemed to be ok with an 80 degree bend on plastic hosing. Worst part was we were 20 miles up a road camping so cut the hose, rode the m/c to an r/v place to get parts. Probably lost a gallon or two of water before the wife decided to turn the pump off. She was concerned because it kept cycling every so often. I keep telling her only turn on power to the pump when you need water then turn it off. been telling her this for years. Now she knows why.

Back