• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So heres my story.....

xxRes1cuexx

Recruit
Reaction score
So I have been hauling cattle for a few months, and I finally screwed up. I had to haul for a friend a few days ago and didnt have my drop hitch, so i ranthe straight ball. Well, I didnt realize that the front axle was off the ground. Its an 18 ft trailer, and loaded 7 cows comfortably into my truck. Until I broke the axle lol. So ive given up on this trailer, I work on it more than my truck. I am looking to buy a trailer, preferably steel. I want a bumper pull, cause i pull it with the tractor also, I want a gated 20 ft'r and looking to spend around 5500 used. Any help guys? THanks!

When you get up two 20' or longer on a livestock trailer I would rather have a gooseneck. It just handles so much better. You can pull a gooseneck with a tractor, we do it all the time.

Well, me and the old man got talking tonight, because its going to be both of ours, he wants and 18' bumper pull. I told him I would rather go upto a 25' Goose neck, but he likes the featherlite 18' aluminums, so that looks like what he is getting, and I think Im going to be looking for an 18' steel Something like a Keifer BUilt, anyone know a good place in the NE that has used ones?

After breaking his the other day, Id rather just get my own lol. Besides, I use his so much that He calls to ask If he can use it. How hard is a goose neck to install?

You can do one in an afternoon. I definetely say if your going to seriously haul cattle save yourself the hassle and buy a Aluminum one, you'll be glad you did and the gooseneck is a definite plus.

You can buy a hitch, B&W makes a great one or you can make one. Use a piece of ten inch channel notch the ends so it sits down on the frame, weld you a 1/4" plate about a 6x6 inch square in the middle. Then drill a hole weld your nut on the bottom. Then mount it to your truck frame. Put the bed back on drill a hole then screw you ball into the plate and tighten up with a pipe wrench and a 6' pipe. Those are just a couple of options.

The B&W is an easier mount but the channel is cheaper if you can do it yourself.

I am located in Westmoreland, NY 30 minutes from the cuse.

I think I am going with a 25 foot ALUMINUM . Not sure if it will be too much on my gasser, but there is a defininte Duramax or cummins in my future by winter.

I'd avoid Featherlite. 3 or my neighbors have them and they are always visiting the local alluminum repair shop :(. Now they all have like 600 head of cattle so it gets used but in my experience a Titan steel trailer is the best. They are basically all we pull. I also recomend you get the Classic Package.

I installed a home built gooseneck plate in mine, it aint pretty but it works really good. just a piece of plate with a 2 5/16 ball welded on. drilled 4 holes through the bed and frame, put grade 8 bolts in with 4 pieces of pipe between the bed and frame. project finished...

I can't believe that I missed this thread:

Featherlite is the way to go. They are IMO the only trailer. I worked for a cattle farmer when I was in my rebulious stage with my Dad and didn't want to have anything to do with grain farming. Loading and hauling rodeo cattle was way cooler than driving a tractor back and forth across a field.

When I worked for this guy, we ran about 1200 head total. (not all rodeo stock)

He stocked a lot of rodeos. Now believe it or not, rodeo bulls are slighly ill tempeted when you get them in a tight space. I have had buckin bulls full buck the sides, dividers, and doors of the Featherlite trailers, and they stay strong.

As for pulling a 25ft with a gasser. I drove a Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1 and the Allision pulling a 30ft Featherlite. It can do it. The truck was almost never unhooked from that trailer. Would I pull that load with my personal truck? NO. A 30ft tralier loaded to the max daily is to much for a 2500HD. On that truck, the 20ft trailer was awsome, maybe even a little on the light side. I would guess that a 25ft trailer would be about perfect.

Oh, and B&W turnover balls are the way to go if you are thinking about going with a gooseneck hitch.

And one othe thing that is nice about gooseneck is that with where the trailer connects to the truck, you can put a 30ft gooseneck trailer in to a tighter space than you can get a 16ft bumper hitch.

Last edited:
Back