• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So... Here is the silver lining!!

DIYORPAY

Reaction score
To make a long story short, I lost oil pressure. Changed the engine with the one out of my other truck to get by. Drove the truck for 300 miles after the engine change.(In between time had a major problem timing it). Then as luck would have it(sarcasm), yesterday i was driving it and white smoke started coming out the exhaust! Awesome! The right head gasket blew out on the front cylinder. So..........in the process of rounding up parts(head gaskets,head bolts,and other needed parts) i ran across a website for hummers that had date codes of engine blocks and how to read them.

The date code of the engine (blown headgasket engine presently installed) is J247. Translation---- October 24, 1997. Whippty Dooo. Here is the silver lining...........................The engine i lost oil pressure in and still runs with not too much damage(spun bearing) is date coded J139. Translation-----October 13,1999!!
It has been upgraded ! I may have a good rebuildable block! Correct?

The only way to know if it is rebuiltable is to check for cracks. If there are no cracks or they can be fixed by lock and stich the rebuild it! Cracks are you main concern.

Back