• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So... Got a ticket today

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
He wrote me up for vc 27151 - Modified Exhaust :banghead:

Does anyone know what the requirement is in California, or what I need to do in order to get this passed, or does it even apply to my truck?
The officer didn't seem to know much about diesels, he just said it was loud. I wasn't even getting on it.

Any insight would be helpful. I have until Oct 1 to get the exhaust inspected (according to the officer).

Your truck's GVWR exceeds the 6000 lbs cited in 27151.

I'll bet that he got you for the straight pipe, pursuant to 27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

I got the same ticket when I was 18. What I was told about that law is that anything other then the stock OEM exhaust is considered modified and is called illegal.

Yeah thats what i'm afraid of.
So I guess they can force me to put a muffler on?
Yeap! You got it.

Not only can they make you put a muffler back on, but Federal law dictates that your vehicle be equipped with a catalytic converter. So, if you took the cat off, they will make you put one back on. I suggest that you do so BEFORE you take it in for inspection, because if they make you take it in to a certified garage for the repairs, you could be forced, by Federal law, to buy a "CERTIFIED" catalytic converter. The one you took off will not qualify, since they have no idea if it's any good or not, or for that matter that it even came from your truck.

As more people take their mufflers and cats off, they will keep ramping up enforcement of these laws.

I sure don't see the point of attracting the cops attention to yourself by making your truck so much louder. Any gain in performance is not worth the risk in my opinion. But then, to each his own. :rolleyes:

Good Luck to you! :cheers2:

Yeap! You got it.

Not only can they make you put a muffler back on, but Federal law dictates that your vehicle be equipped with a catalytic converter. So, if you took the cat off, they will make you put one back on. I suggest that you do so BEFORE you take it in for inspection, because if they make you take it in to a certified garage for the repairs, you could be forced, by Federal law, to buy a "CERTIFIED" catalytic converter. The one you took off will not qualify, since they have no idea if it's any good or not, or for that matter that it even came from your truck.

As more people take their mufflers and cats off, they will keep ramping up enforcement of these laws.

I sure don't see the point of attracting the cops attention to yourself by making your truck so much louder. Any gain in performance is not worth the risk in my opinion. But then, to each his own. :rolleyes:

Good Luck to you! :cheers2:

Yeah I figured I should take care of it before being certified.

I agree 5 inch is pretty excessive. When I bought it, the exhaust had already been modified. Although it is loud, it appears to be time to do something about it.

Thanks for the info guys.
I am looking at either going with a new MBRP 4" or finding a cat and just sticking on what I currently have.

Which brings up the next question... Anyone have their cat that they want to sell?

I am wondering if I should just "borrow" a cat and stick it in there for the inspection and then pull it out. I think I am gonna go with the MBRP resonator or muffler and leave the 5". Hopefully that will knock down the noise enough to keep the cops off my back.

You know I got a fix it ticket for mud flaps here in AZ....I took them off to play in the desert and got pulled over on my way home...I even showed the cops the mounting bracket...she was suck a b**ch.... anyway I just typed up a reciept that I bought a set...from myself, lol..... and showed it in court and they let me go...... find an exhaust shop that will give you a reciept for a full turbo back with cats and a muffler and drive a different vehicle to court that day....present the reciept and you should be able to get the ticket thrown out.... BTW I have gotten out of speeding tickets because I have said the speedo was off and I had a reciept saying I had it calibrated....that only works on lifted trucks though

Last edited:
You know I got a fix it ticket for muf flaps here in AZ....I took them off to play in the desert and got pulled over on my way home...I even showed the cops the mounting bracket...she was suck a b**ch.... anyway I just typed up a reciept that I bought a set...from myself, lol..... and showed it in court and they let me go...... find an exhaust shop that will give you a reciept for a full turbo back with cats and a muffler and drive a different vehicle to court that day....present the reciept and you should be able to get the ticket thrown out.... BTW I have gotten out of speeding tickets because I have said the speedo was off and I had a reciept saying I had it calibrated....that only works on lifted trucks though

Thats a good idea. I may have to try that.

I don't think I would want to take a chance falsifying any papers for court. If they decide that they want to inspect the truck (which they always do around my neck of the woods) and you get caught, they will make it 10 times worse.

It will be less risky if you show then a "FIXED" truck, even if you take the stuff back off after they inspect it.

Just my 2¢ :)

Good Luck!

BTW, around here a broken speedometer is NOT a good defense against a speeding ticket. Their contention is that you, the driver, are responsible for making sure everything is working as required by law. Believe me, I've tried.

I got the same ticket when I was 18. What I was told about that law is that anything other then the stock OEM exhaust is considered modified and is called illegal.

That doesn't make sense to me. That would mean letting midas or pepboys put an exhaust on your vehicle would render it illegal. Although come to think of it,that probably should be illegal ):h

I don't think I would want to take a chance falsifying any papers for court. If they decide that they want to inspect the truck (which they always do around my neck of the woods) and you get caught, they will make it 10 times worse.

It will be less risky if you show then a "FIXED" truck, even if you take the stuff back off after they inspect it.

Statie got me for glass packs on my 68 442 while I was out testing some repairs (OK - I was out playing around). He heard me coming, pulled over and waited to see if I came by. :lol: He told me straight out - no receipts - we WILL go out and look at the car. They did!

I put on the "nice" system for inspection - got the ticket dropped - put the packs back on the next day. Of course I drove right passed the same damn cop the day after. He just shook his head. Pretty cool IMHO. :driving:

In most places, the turbo qualifies as a "sound-dampening device"....

In CT it doesn't, and the DMV is very specific about it.

The law against modifying factory exhaust makes it legal to REPAIR a damaged factory exhaust. You need to prove your factory exhaust was damaged, then you replaced it with an aftermarket one.

That aftermarket exhaust still has to be compliant though (or have the appearance of it); if your truck was CAT from the factory, it needs to still have one.

Back