• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So...debacle...

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I have a John Deere GT 275, no hood and worn seat, but runs great, has a 48" deck, and a snowplow & chains, hydrostatic drive, but manual lift.

Got the GT 275 from a friend for free.

I MAY have the opportunity to trade a locked up 80's sbc 350, 7x14 utility trailer, and s-10 flatbed for a Farm King MTD 990 with snowplow, tiller, deck, and snow blower. (just saw the snow blower...)

Which do you think would have the greater value to hang on to? I'm thinking I could sell the GT 275 to a brother-in-law, haha.

And of course there's the never ending debate of just selling all my crap, or the Farm King, to pay debt or savings, haha.

I'd always be leery of any equipment with the MTD nameplate. The GT hood is about $250 for the upper and lower on ebay.

Really? No good times with them?
Anything with stamped steel suspension or frame parts is junk.

What garden tractor brands do you prefer that might have a 3 pt hitch?
That I can't answer...

Last edited:
I have a John Deere GT 275, no hood and worn seat, but runs great, has a 48" deck, and a snowplow & chains, hydrostatic drive, but manual lift.

Got the GT 275 from a friend for free.

I have a GT 235 that needs a Deck... mine rotted out...It was a 54M(mower) just the plain mower deck...not a 54C(convertible)...you ever want to part with the deck and it turns out to be the right one, I may be interested.

I bought a New commercial Zero turn to replace it with, but I'd like to give my brother my mower for use on his acre...he's in poor health and has a self propelled push style mower...his 19yo son currently cuts the grass, but leaves in February to go to Nuke school for the US Navy

I don't think I'll be parting out the mower because it still seems to be working fine.

But there are a lot of used mowers or people parting out their mowers on craigslist..

I don't think I'll be parting out the mower because it still seems to be working fine.

But there are a lot of used mowers or people parting out their mowers on craigslist..
no good decks out there...at a reasonable price that is :banghead:

everything on this one is great except the dang deck...and it is still usable...but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving this to my brother with holes in the top of the deck where debris may come through...

Can you spot weld or tap screw some sheet metal? Or have someone do it.

But, I know what you mean.

The dude, I think, backed out.

due to the stamped nature of the deck, with the well around each spindle...some of the spots that are rusted through are around the spindle mounting areas for each spindle...
I don't care if I'm riding it when it happens, but eventually one of those spindles is going to rip loose from the deck and fly around inside the deck by the blades and maybe penetrate some of the other rusted areas maybe coming up to hit the driver before the blades come to a stop once the belt comes off that spindles pulley...It may never happen, but I couldn't give it to someone with that being even a slight possibility...

We had to condemn a deck on a 755 Compact Tractor due to rot around the spindles. A few thousand later we got a new deck shell form John Deere and transferred all parts over.

That's not a terrible deal for the MTD. They aren't the best built things around, but they can be rebuilt to be heavier duty. If nothing else, all the attachments would come in handy.

What size engine do those have? 14 to 16 hp? I think they were a little light on HP for their atachments.

I have a 23 hp Mitsubishi 3 cylinder diesel on a Toro Reelmaster frame you could make the 2 into one and have a fun machine

We had to condemn a deck on a 755 Compact Tractor due to rot around the spindles. A few thousand later we got a new deck shell form John Deere and transferred all parts over.
Mower isn't worth but around $1500...dang sure not going to buy a bare deck new from a John Deere discounter for $950+ whatever shipping is...

Mower isn't worth but around $1500...dang sure not going to buy a bare deck new from a John Deere discounter for $950+ whatever shipping is...
We tried to find a used one, but couldn't on the east coast. Even tried to get some dealers to sell the deck out from under the tractor they had on their lot but no luck. Summer came and we needed a deck bad.

Back