• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So...debacle...

I usually just weld the decks and replace what needs replacing. I try to use as much stainless and stainless rod as possible or time allows. Usually takes me a day or 3, but it's worth it when compared to the price of a deck.

Use Slick Plate or a similar product on the bottom of the deck. It helps a lot.

With stainless you don't have to use anything.

Is Slick Plate what farmers use to put in the corners of their gravity wagons?

I tried putting, whatever that product is, inside my fenders of a cj5 and mud still stuck...

No more rust from the top side, right?

Unless a fiber glass overlay can hold up to the abrasiveness of what's being cut, it'll still probably rust from the bottom.

Fiberglass with a good gelcoat stands some decent grass abrasions. Now if your cutting twigs and the like it will need more gelcoat every so often. Depends on clearance underneath.

Welding it up if at all possible is definitely stronger, but the picture in my head was like it's beyond that.

Real pictures would help me not use my imagination so vividly. Dangerous things come to life when I get it kicked into gear. :wacky:

note for the next deck you find - in the winter, I scrape out any remaining grass and coat the entire underside surface with either TODCO Lube or used motor oil to prevent further rust while sitting in the damp condensation of the winter months.

Fiberglass with a good gelcoat stands some decent grass abrasions. Now if your cutting twigs and the like it will need more gelcoat every so often. Depends on clearance underneath.

Welding it up if at all possible is definitely stronger, but the picture in my head was like it's beyond that.

Real pictures would help me not use my imagination so vividly. Dangerous things come to life when I get it kicked into gear. :wacky:
It's never beyond that if there is enough left to pattern pieces from.z

We scrape and power wash the under side of our deck every time we mow. We oil it every 3 or 4 times

Helped my buddy out this past Saturday and he gave me his MTD 995. It's pretty beat up, but it started right up after sitting for 2 years..

The back tires were completely flat and the front tires were mostly flat as we guided it up the ramps onto the trailer. Grader box raised up nice and easy and had enough oomph to push up the back in when lowered. He had to use some Deep Creep Sea Foam to get the home-made hydrastat pedals to move. It used to be a handle, but when he originally got it, he was planning on building a bucket for it and didn't want his hands to be too busy.

So, I'll need to continue lubing the hydrostat, change the oil and gas, probably change the hydro filter and hydraulic fluid, and either find some mud truck tires for the back, or put tubes in for now and see where that gets me. And tubes in the front. (Budget build)

This was me operating it when I still had my 96 K2500...

Back