• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Snowplow Pump vs A/C Bracket mount

razur65

Reaction score
So before I can get the 6.5 in the shop, I had started this project a while back: mounting a hydraulic snow plow pump in place of the A/C compressor on an old 5.7 Suburban.

Hollowed out the A/C Bracket to make the hydraulic "fit"

Suburban_pump.00.jpg

Now the pump fits nice and snug.
Suburban_pump.01.jpg
Welded piece of angle to the side of the pump, pulley is custom fabricated from an old A/C deleted pulley bracket assembly.

The Plow setup came off and old square body project that I abandoned. So the mounting plates were completely different.
I solved that issue by cutting them back and welding to a piece of 3" x 5" angle, that I mounted to the front frame in place of the tow hooks.
Suburban_Plowplate.01.jpg

I needed 27" between the plow frame plates for the frame crossmember to fit, with the angle steel in place of the tow hooks I was able to get the crossmember to fit and have enough steel available to weld to the front frame on both sides of the top of the angle.
Suburban_PlowFrame.01.jpg

Suburban_PlowFrame.02.jpg

To make the valve spool assembly fit I had to cut off the cable bracket and reweld the cable support to the valve maount on a side 90 degrees from original position, then heated the bracket to bend same angle as inner fender and bolted / tack welded under the ABS valving unit.

Suburban_valve.01.jpg

So everything is together, it raises, lowers, moves left and right. So when we get another snow storm I'll find out how good it really works!

Suburban_Plow.01.jpg

This was the abondoned project, had too many frame issues to salvage. I did get a nice rebuilt 350 and this old plow setup out of the deal.
Plow Truck_1.01.jpg

I put a Fisher on my 94 and put the pump in place of the AC as well. Mines diesel though. I have the newer version that is electric activated hydraulics.

Anyone have suggestions on a place in the serpentine setup to mount a pump while KEEPING the AC compressor? I have a project planned and need pressure....

I dont. I was thinking of that spot but the pulley is smooth not grooved and the belt just skims it. Not properly wrapped around the pulley like I would need.
I was considering a second pulley on the crank and running a second belt out front.

I was looking at that setup. The pump needs to run at crank speed. It will need a pulley similar to the crank or power steering. That's fairly big. My latest thought is double up the power steering pulley and put the pump between the ac and power steering.
Ill start a new thread with my complete project shortly. Hydraulic driven Radiator fan.

Back