• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Snow season is coming, are you ready?

blizzardplowman

Crowd Control
Reaction score
Was just running down my list of preseason todo's and thought I would share.
Plow and Truck
A: Check/replace cutting edges
B: Check for bad hoses
C: Change Fluid, and clean filters
D: Replace the main power solenoid if over 2 years old
E: Test the truck batteries, and add distilled water if not a sealed battery
F: Hook up the plow and use all functions
G: General walk around looking for failed welds, broken parts
H: Check the truck out, look for oil leaks, bad belts, bad tires etc.
Salter
Check chains, test electric motors, start if a gas powered unit. Charge the battery if unit has one, grease all required fitting, oil the chains. Install unit on truck and test all functions.

As contracts come in we are going out and checking for changes to the lots, marking pavement edges. We also take pictures of bad pavement, curbs and anything else that might be "caused" by our winter operations.

good pointers. i have to give the plow a good once over and get it moved up top. still have another 2 months here though.

Thanks Plowman, I was not aware of the starter solenoid.

I finished mine last weekend.

It will be here before we know it. :thumbsup:

Good pointers. Mine aren't ready and will probably be the last ones to be.

Been tinkering on for sale ones like crazy though!!

Good list, I should be starting on mine in the next few weeks. Going to be installing a set of boss wings for this season. Started up my business last monday so this season will be a good one now. Company I sub for my buddy works at year round. He said due to our efficiency last season we might be getting some more locations for this winter. :)

Nope, not ready yet. The last time i tried to hook up to the blade nothing would worked. The headlights flashed from truck to blade and back several times but now it wont do anything. I am going to hook up to my neighbors blade to see if the truck is the problem or if it is the blade. All connections are clean and greased, no chaffing on the wires and yes, the switch is on.

Heck I will be missing the beginning of winter and hunting season. Be in MO for an Army school for 2 months.

How do you guys charge? When you give a bid what is it? by the inch? Job?

JOb, to x inch, then a adder if we get dumped on. IE avg parking lot, say 30-40 minutes in lot would be $65.00, if under 5" then add $5.00 per 1" over or some such rule.

I'm usually getting ready as the snow starts piling up on the driveway.

Good thing I only plow my stuff and no one elses.

BTW..Anyone hear of any wings for a Fisher RD? I made the mistake of buying a 7.5 when I should have gotten an 8 or 8.5.

Living in Arizona, forgive my plowing ignorance, but how do you mark for pavement edges? Some sort of stake that you can see above the snow?

How do you guys charge? When you give a bid what is it? by the inch? Job?

For me it depends on the driveway. $30 minimum for any size driveway, going rate is $1 per minute so size of driveway, room for snow is a factor, position of home/garage/outbuildings, location of well/stone walls/flower beds and how steep driveway is all play a factor. Double for sanding. I just bid for a large Condo complex with a steep hill and 5 large parking lots. Told them $300 per storm for 1"-4", every 4" after that is considered another storm. Meaning 12" of snow would net me $900. Still waiting for a response on that bid.

All very good advise but after after 15 years instead of checking hoses and trip edges etc. I now check chain case oil, carbides and plugs and make sure my trailer bearings are greased and my gear is clean. The money was great but the last few years I have learned to play in the snow again. Guys be safe on those all nighters!!!

Blizzard plowman?....hmmm I always wondered if you plowed snow...lol:willynilly:

Been plowing snow since, well forever :D Going on 20 years as being a contractor, more years than I can count doing the 1/4 mile long drive at the farm. I remember the 14 horse JD garden tractor with the 48" snow blower, can you say frozen...I now run 3 trucks, the skidder and a loader, a few atvs and snow blowers....Glad my kid wants to help out.
TL80.jpg

MWpostcard06.jpg

I love snow when I go to it.... but I hate it when it comes to me..... I grew up in Buffalo so I know snow and I choose to live way way down here away from it....

TOO DAMN COLD UP THERE!!!!

Back