• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Snow getting in the air filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

625fireman

I have injecter-itis
Reaction score
Work truck 08 Ford 450 Powerstroke with Boss straight blade....... We are having trouble with this truck getting snow in the airfilter. Gets enough in it to totaly soak the thing then setts off the check engine light and trtips the filter minder. Anyone else seeing this and how did you fix it??????

TSB -- Technical Service Bulletin correct????? How do I get a copy?

TSB 09-4-7 - Publication Date: February 20, 2009 - 6.4L AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM RESTRICTION - SNOW

That is all I can Find right now. But it is for exactly what you are having a Problem with, so maybe your Dealer can give you more Info.

Pulled this off another site. Don't know anything personally though.

I had heard rumor (on this site or another?) that part of the TSB was to supply a grille cover to complaining customers of job 1 trucks. Just wanted to what was in the text of the TSB to know if this was true or just a dream. Either way, I'll have one by next winter.
If you want a free winter front all you need to do is call ford customer service, it takes about 10 minutes they will call your dealer to verify it is a problem on your truck. They may not call on this anymore because so many people have done so already not sure though. The new TSB is some sort of gasket/diverter that goes on the air intake somehow. My dealer is going to put mine in on monday.
FYI your mileage should go UP with the winter front because your engine will run closer to proper operating temp and burn the fuel better, plus most engine are designed to put in more fuel when the engine is colder to try to warm it up faster. This is according to my dealer anyway.

Bottom line: Put the winter cover on when you plow.

TSB 09-6-8
04/06/09
6.4L AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM RESTRICTION -
SNOW - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/16/2009
FORD:
2008-2009 F-Super Duty
This article supersedes TSB 9-4-7 to add a production fix date.
ISSUE
Some 2008-2009 6.4L F-Super Duty vehicles built on or before 3/16/2009 may experience a lack of power during acceleration and perhaps the illumination of the check air filter message in the instrument cluster message center. The lack of power condition may occur when the air filter element becomes packed with snow, thereby restricting required air flow to the engine.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. For vehicles built before 9/18/2007 provide a Winter Grill cover to the customer.
2. Replace the electronic Filter Minder Indicator if the vehicle does not have engineering part number 8C34-9N622-AB level installed.

3. Remove auxiliary snow tube. (Figure 1 - Item 1)
4. Remove the air box filter cover. (Figure 1 - Item 2)
5. Replace the air cleaner element only if wet or frozen.

6. Attach the snow deflector gasket. Ensure the gasket is securely attached to the rim of the air box. (Figure 2)
7. Install air box cover.
8. Install auxiliary snow tube.
9. Verify the plastic breather box on the end of auxiliary snow tube does not contact turbocharger heat shields.
NOTE THIS PROCEDURE IS INTENDED FOR USE ON VEHICLES OPERATED IN COLD WEATHER STATES (AK, CO, ID, IA, ME, MI, MN, MT, ND, NH, NY, SD, VT, WI, WY) AND CANADA.
NOTE THIS WINTER GRILL COVER MUST BE REMOVED WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE GREATER THAN 50 °F (10 °C) (32 °F (0 °C) WHEN TOWING) OR ENGINE DAMAGE CAN RESULT. THE SNOW DEFLECTOR GASKET MAY REMAIN INSTALLED IN THE VEHICLE YEAR-ROUND.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

090608A 2008-2009 F-Super Duty 0.4 Hr.
6.4L: Install Grill Cover,
Snow Deflector Gasket,
Replace Filter Minder And
Air Filter If Necessary (Do
Not Use With 9601A)
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
9601 55

Disclaimer

wix sells and upgraded filter and air box napa also has them, I have been using these on our 350 and 550 plow trucks and they have been working.

Thanks a little update on the truck too.... Let the mechanic know bout the tsb and he called Ford. The kit is free from them but there is a catch............ The truck was originally ordered by ODOT but the backed out when it came time to pick the trucks ( ordered somewhere around 80 units). ODOT did not spec plow prep so we need to put the HD fan on to let the warrenty cover the engine at all. Guess what the fan costs ..................................................$385.00. So now the bosses have to decide what to do. Sorta no brainer to me but my opinion dont mean much there.

Thanks a little update on the truck too.... Let the mechanic know bout the tsb and he called Ford. The kit is free from them but there is a catch............ The truck was originally ordered by ODOT but the backed out when it came time to pick the trucks ( ordered somewhere around 80 units). ODOT did not spec plow prep so we need to put the HD fan on to let the warrenty cover the engine at all. Guess what the fan costs ..................................................$385.00. So now the bosses have to decide what to do. Sorta no brainer to me but my opinion dont mean much there.

$385 is getting off easy at the dealer. :thumbsup:

Back