• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

smoking 6.5

countryboy69

Reaction score
Hey guys need a little help. Got a friend with a manual pump turbo truck. It wasnt running too well and someone told him to put trans fluid in the fuel.. now its smoking bad on start up. It runs very rough. Once it warms up it clears up. But still fumes bad. A local shop with minimal experience told him the pump was bad. I am leaning towards injectors. Dont want to spend a lot of cash in the wrong parts. What y'all think?

Alil ATF might help clean stuff out but I would never put my 6.5 through it, its purpose is to increase friction in between the clutches and carry heat away from the tranny. Our pumps need extra lube.

Tell him to run some nondetergent 30wt ~1qt / fill up a couple times to "relube the pump and squirts" then thin it out to ~1/2 qt per tank and if that doesnt clear it up I would change injectors since 6.5's have a bad rep on injectors anyways.

Adding alot of 2 stroke or ND 30wt wont hurt a 93 at all, it could probably run on straight 30wt. I know mine ran on 2.5 gal of 15w40 and 1 gal of dyed diesel one day when i was stranded 20 miles from town and loaded. The mech pumps can let you burn NEARLY anything but that doesnt always mean its good for the pump or injectors in the long run.

I drained the old fuel and puttung fresh in. He had dropped 3 quarts in! It was smoking on start up before the fluid thought.

Check the intake for oil, if the turbo is leaking oil and its going into the intake or turbo is sucking lots of oil out of the valve cover when operating then it probably pools behind some valves and in some cylinders after shutdown.

That or some valve guides leaking.

Back