• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smokey International Backhoe

YORKY

Reaction score
Son has a 1980I.H.D. 268 backhoe,with completely rebuilt 4cylinder, normally aspirated, diesel engine.Bought technical manual, and found timing to be miles out.Power and smoothness improved, but still smokes[white], all the time.Has no glows, or preheat of any kind, but starts ,at -10, without much trouble.He's been told that these old diesels do smoke, but he's not buying it.Anyone got ideas.
Tony

Engine smokes when it's warming up, and when it's running.C'ant say what it smells like, pipes way up in the air, but i'll see,if I can find out.
Tony

My IH 484 smokes white too and I just rebuilt it last year. Its a 3cyl NA diesel and runs great. I also heard these old engines smoked. My smoke clears up after its warm, it smokes some after its warmed up but not much. My smoke smells like unburned fuel. It may be leaky injectors. Somone said that these smoked until you had about 50 hours on it, mine has about 10 hours so far.

Mine looks like its burning oil when it cold. The oil level and coolant are always fine.

Thanks for replies,son says he is going to change injectors at next opportunity.Since the timing was so far out,they may have done a sloppy rebuild, and left in the original injectors.
Tony

Thanks for replies,son says he is going to change injectors at next opportunity.Since the timing was so far out,they may have done a sloppy rebuild, and left in the original injectors.
Tony

Im pretty sure my IH has the injectors it had from the factory. I cleaned them like the manual says but I think maybe this next summer I'll replace them.

Back