• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

smokes like a freight train

jbradley113093

Reaction score
i have a 1993 chevy c/k 3500 6.2l diesel. it smokes like a frieght train and i was wondering if a turbo will reduce it. i am also going to check and see if there is anything blocking air flow in the intake

Last edited:
first things first. you need to fill out your signature.it's under the user cp. now as far as the smoke goes, do it do it steady or certain time? what colour is it? any other issues?

welcome by the way. lots of good people here. well get it solved

If the truck has an EGR valve in the intake, check to make sure its not stuck open.

A stuck EGR valve will cause this condition.

Plugged air filter, rodent living in the air snorkel along with a bunch of its friends and their house.

Black smoke is too much fuel for the amount of air available.

These should not smoke black except possibly under very hard throttle.

Find out why its smoking before spending any time and $$$ to install a turbo.

Something is not right.

Keep us posted

Missy

im not going to spend a lot of money im geting a free turbo and were going to instal it our selves and i will certainly keep you posted as i work on it this summer. im geting it this summer from minnesota as a gift. I also have to redo the whole break system but that is cake work i hear

Last edited:
like missy said check the air filter and snorkel. go with the cheap and easy first. your pump may have been changed, check the number with the reference section on here. you should have the heavy duty(J code) engine given that your a 3500. but that being said double check for an EGR. ya never know.

Alot of people tried turning the Ips up cause these things are such dogs stock but you can't get away with much NA.
I hear mine hwoling at night.."Put a turbo on me..."

and Howl...:D...Like a dog....:rofl:
Yes AK is correct. You can only get away with a tiny bit more fuel than stock without a turbo and someone may have not adhered to that...

Make it a Chrome and very large ):h

Great addition if you want to make a fashion statement.

I have considered it for DaHooooley.

Twin 6 inchers with the long cowboy cut on top. :D

Missy

the only real question is how big, and if you want a single or dual stacks.

MGW the is such thing as too big. There was a ebay post on here about so 10" ones:eek: now 3-6" is nice

Back