• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smoked Taillights

mattthebrat

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Does anyone make smoked taillights for the GMT-400s?
I am not looking for a clear taillight with a smoked reflector, I just want a plain old red taillight that is darker than the stock.

Maybe it is possible to even create my own, smoke the inside of the lens or the reflector, kind of like what David did with the amber on the 99-02 tails?

Thanks Mike!

I did alittle looking around on Google and I found a couple of places with tint sprays, and tint stickers, I even found a couple of instructional you-tube videos about it.

I think what I may do is just is buy a couple used lights from the wrecker and try a few different techniques. I kinda want to try this out with some headlights too

Matt, go to Auto Zone in 'kato and get VHT Nightshades, and Duplicolor Truck and Van clear coat in rattle cans. Do one or two light shades of VHT, and then clear. They'll be perfect. Or, if you want, I have a set I could tint for you. ;)

I painted the outside. If you clearcoat it the paint should last as long as any other paint.

Here's the tinted tails on my bonneville (one coat of VHT with no clear):
IMG_2429.jpg

I've also had no cop trouble. Want me to tint that set and see if you want 'em?

x2 on the nightshades. did mine and came out mint. i tinted them then cleared them. i wasnt the happiest with the finish and wetsanded them then gave em a little polish. they sparkle like the rest of the truck now.

Yup, nightshades is the best way to go and clearcoat it when your done. I wouldn't do it on the inside, it will not work well with the "bumpy" part of the lense as the paint will pool in the lower areas first and create funny dark and light areas.

Just curious, I understand the fact that you want to make the lights look custom, but why would you want to make it harder for someone to see your lights? Particularly brake lights? I want every last ounce of light output behind me so that nitwit texting teenage girl has every chance of seeing me quickly.

Dan, I understand your opinion, but my taillights are just as bright when lit, just black when off. At night there is little to no difference with a Bonneville that has stock tails.

I tinted my spare set, but it looks like hell. I'm gonna wet sand them and see how they look then.

i second that. my lights as verified by my wife following me when on are every bit as bright as stock.

dads, i had to wet sand mine and buff them using the night shades paint. next time i am going to do them with some base coat color mixed into a clear coat mix. they should come out not needing anything but install.

Back