• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smog Readiness

Wreckinball67

Reaction score
Hello all,
Need advice with emissions. My 98 K1500 has less than 1000 miles since I installed a new GEP motor last year. Runs great but had to have it smogged and I was told the OBDII readiness monitors were "not ready". Apparently there are not enough drive cycles. I'm having difficulty finding information about this particular vehicle. I have tried doing some drive cycles as seen on YouTube but, of course they are generic. I have a Bluetooth scan device which shows codes and the like. SES light is off but, while driving I keep getting a pending code for the EGR saying flow is low.

EGR is new when motor was installed as well as the EGR solenoid, vacuum pump. Intake was completely cleaned with new motor.

I did have a "misfire" monitor that needed to be reset, which it finally did.
Every time I clear the pending codes it seems like I have to start over. The "misfire" monitor will again say "not ready". It eventually completes its test but, by that time the pending EGR code is back.

Not sure if the drive cycles are taking place if there are pending codes. Also, if I clear the pending codes am I also deleting the accumulated drive cycles?

Oh, be cautious. The GEP valve cover sticker for military EMISSIONS EXEPT has had many people denied. If you forgot to install the emissions approved non sticker valve cover which is exactly the same :the gm cover and the gep sticker

There's no military sticker, this motor was specifically built from scratch for me except it's the HD version which, I hope isn't causing me issues now.

It’s not a military sticker- it is a GEP sticker. On top of driver’s side valve cover.
Some places don’t care, some places act like the sticker means the engine is different.

No clue about low egr flow if you are getting proper vacuum- did you measure it?
Bad egr or wastegate solenoid? Map sensor?

There's 9 inches of mercury to the EGR and MAP sensor at idle. All solenoids were replaced at the time of the new motor.

Back