• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

sm465 throwout bearing

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
My cousin just swapped an automatic for an sm465 out of a one ton, into his 85 3/4 ton. He is trying to get a new throwout bearing for it, but none of the parts stores seem to be able to get him one. From what he told me it is longer or larger and the ones they try to sell him are way too small. He pulled the tranny and t-case himself, so he has all the year and model info of the donor truck. What's the deal, I never knew there to be a big variance among 465s?

there isn't. the only variances he'd shoud run into is the clutch type. mechanical or hydraulic. the only other thing they changed was the input shaft bearing and the wasn't until 88 or so. get him to order the one from the donor truck and it should fit. that what I ended up doing with mine. mine was a mess of years, clutch and flywheel came out of a early 6.5, transmission was 82-84, and the truck is a 91. what year was the donor?

I don't remember what year the donor was, I'll find out, but I do know he was trying to order the part for that particular truck, not his 85.

i bought a clutch kit for an 85(which is my truck's year) It came with a pilot bushing, not a bearing.

Should i return it and order one for an 88(the year of the transmission)?

Wait, are you referring to the pilot bushing (sits in the crankshaft, prevents friction on the snout of the input shaft) or the Throwout bearing (disengages the clutch when you push the pedal)??

Wait, are you referring to the pilot bushing (sits in the crankshaft, prevents friction on the snout of the input shaft) or the Throwout bearing (disengages the clutch when you push the pedal)??

Yes my clutch kit came with a pilot bushing. yet Dorman lists a pilot bearing bu no bushing. Can i use the bushing that came with the clutch kit(i asked for a clutch kit for a 6.2 diesel) or should i hunt down a pilot bearing instead?

Like I said earlier, this thread is off track. I'd be fine with a bushing, as long as it's the proper size. But, IIRC, the starter of the thread is referring to a Throwout bearing, which has a completely different function than a pilot bearing.

It's beginning to look that way Dave. Stay tuned.

Had a friend at Advance auto check hit clutch catalogs. the clutch kits for 85 and 88 are the same part number. A friend at auto zone also checked his catalog and the numbers were different. The 85 one was part number NU1909. the 88 was part number NU1909-1. From what we could tell nothing was different about the clutch kits. The disc is the same size at 11 7/8". The shaft size was 1 1/8" for both and they were both 10 spline. Strange?

I think I figured out the difference of the part numbers. the first one is the kit with the bushing. later they switched over to the bearing version. they're interchangeable. stick with what you got. you should be good to go. they didn't give you a throwout with the clutch kit?

I think I figured out the difference of the part numbers. the first one is the kit with the bushing. later they switched over to the bearing version. they're interchangeable. stick with what you got. you should be good to go. they didn't give you a throwout with the clutch kit?

My kit came with a throwout bearing, the clutch disc, pressure plate, alignment tool,and the bushing.

I'll bet your onto something with the bushing vs bearing difference. We couldn't find anything different measurement wise so i'll bet that's the difference.

Back